Our website versus Facebook

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make a very good point. I wish now, I'd thought about a "false ID".
What I hate about F/B in general, is the fact that no matter what I need to search, ends up as some sort of ad on my f/b page. That's an intrusion into my privacy.
So, I use a VPN. Anytime I go to Facebook on my PC, I delete my old browsing history and then reset my isp number. There are too many hidden permissions when you allow access to your device to an app. They 'could' access your browsing history. That history is like a fingerprint. In my case, my Opel/7173mustangs/AstroSafari/MadMax/Space1999 history is unlikely to be repeated by any other person. It's an identifier not bound by your isp number. So once they have that history it is still possible to track your activity if they can see the isp's visiting sites. If the same isp number hits those sites on the same night, you might as well scream your name, even if you use a VPN.
Name of the game is to keep deleting your browsing history and cookies and keep changing your isp number, maybe even several times a night.
It's easier than it sounds, but you have to be consistent.
I'm not a tech guy, but I figure if I can figure stuff out on my own, the smart people with evil intent are way ahead of me.

So, I use a VPN. Anytime I go to Facebook on my PC, I delete my old browsing history and then reset my isp number. There are too many hidden permissions when you allow access to your device to an app. They 'could' access your browsing history. That history is like a fingerprint. In my case, my Opel/7173mustangs/AstroSafari/MadMax/Space1999 history is unlikely to be repeated by any other person. It's an identifier not bound by your isp number. So once they have that history it is still possible to track your activity if they can see the isp's visiting sites. If the same isp number hits those sites on the same night, you might as well scream your name, even if you use a VPN.
Name of the game is to keep deleting your browsing history and cookies and keep changing your isp number, maybe even several times a night.
It's easier than it sounds, but you have to be consistent.
I'm not a tech guy, but I figure if I can figure stuff out on my own, the smart people with evil intent are way ahead of me.
Good info there. I'm way behind when it comes to computer "stuff", but I do have a VPN, but I don't always use it. If it's on when I want to go to my bank, it's a pita as I have to go through all the ID protocol. It is also an issue here when I want to access my paid for TV programming,

Yeah, I'm not up on all the latest computer stuff, either. I kind of quit worrying about understanding it all around Windows XP. Now I just use it and mostly leave the details to someone else. I use the pc for most things as it's easier on the eyes and does not come packed with all kinds of stuff that I'll never use and gives me more control over my data than the phone does.
As an example, Google. Or more specifically, G-Mail. I have a G-Mail account I've had for 20 years and virtually never used. Using Google Chrome/Play/G-Mail on a phone pretty much requires you give it access to your phone for them to work right. So I don't use them. I turn off geolocation and all that type stuff. For work we use G-Mail for the company email. Since I am not at my desk/pc all the time I had to add my work G-Mail account to my phone. I figured I would log off/turn off G-Mail outside of work. So I added it. Once I did that, I got a new pin pad security screen. And now, I cannot sign out of G-Mail. At all. I seached...(Googled it!) and found out that on Android phones, you cannot 'log off'. The only way I can stop G-Mail from collecting whatever data it is allowed to according to the required permissions when you add the app is to delete the app! Imagine having to add and delete an app every single work day. For six months prior to this, everytime it updated it would move the 'log out/sign out' button so I always had to go find it. Then they just eliminated it.

I know I've kind of veered off the thread topic, a bit, but as you can tell, I have a beef with not having a choice.
If anyone would like to depress themselves, there is a documentary called "The Social Dilemma". It's not some weird half-assed Youtube conspiracy thing, it's a real documentary that lays out how social media is manipulative and how they do it. The interviews are with the engineers that actually built the systems, many of whom regret it.

The trailer:

I know I've kind of veered off the thread topic, a bit, but as you can tell, I have a beef with not having a choice.
If anyone would like to depress themselves, there is a documentary called "The Social Dilemma". It's not some weird half-assed Youtube conspiracy thing, it's a real documentary that lays out how social media is manipulative and how they do it. The interviews are with the engineers that actually built the systems, many of whom regret it.

The trailer:

Wouldn't play for me, some sort of error.

Yeah, I'm not up on all the latest computer stuff, either. I kind of quit worrying about understanding it all around Windows XP. Now I just use it and mostly leave the details to someone else. I use the pc for most things as it's easier on the eyes and does not come packed with all kinds of stuff that I'll never use and gives me more control over my data than the phone does.
As an example, Google. Or more specifically, G-Mail. I have a G-Mail account I've had for 20 years and virtually never used. Using Google Chrome/Play/G-Mail on a phone pretty much requires you give it access to your phone for them to work right. So I don't use them. I turn off geolocation and all that type stuff. For work we use G-Mail for the company email. Since I am not at my desk/pc all the time I had to add my work G-Mail account to my phone. I figured I would log off/turn off G-Mail outside of work. So I added it. Once I did that, I got a new pin pad security screen. And now, I cannot sign out of G-Mail. At all. I seached...(Googled it!) and found out that on Android phones, you cannot 'log off'. The only way I can stop G-Mail from collecting whatever data it is allowed to according to the required permissions when you add the app is to delete the app! Imagine having to add and delete an app every single work day. For six months prior to this, everytime it updated it would move the 'log out/sign out' button so I always had to go find it. Then they just eliminated it.
I'm with you all the way on this and no problem expressing your thoughts.
Here's one for you; I'm a road cyclist. Three or four years ago, I needed a new cycle computer. I did not want to spend $500 on something I didn't need, so I looked on Amazon and found what appeared to be a perfect unit for my needs. Of course it was Chinese. For the first year or so, it worked great other than connecting to my cheaper android phone via bluetooth. A couple of seasons back, it wanted an update. When I downloaded the update, it then "required" me to agree to share my photos and data and to agree to their terms and condition, something that was NOT required originally. I read through part of it until I reached the part that said my personal information could be shared with the Chinese government. That was that. I deleted the download there and then. I now still use that computer, but now I log my rides manually on paper. Talk about a violation of privecy!

I'm with you all the way on this and no problem expressing your thoughts.
Here's one for you; I'm a road cyclist. Three or four years ago, I needed a new cycle computer. I did not want to spend $500 on something I didn't need, so I looked on Amazon and found what appeared to be a perfect unit for my needs. Of course it was Chinese. For the first year or so, it worked great other than connecting to my cheaper android phone via bluetooth. A couple of seasons back, it wanted an update. When I downloaded the update, it then "required" me to agree to share my photos and data and to agree to their terms and condition, something that was NOT required originally. I read through part of it until I reached the part that said my personal information could be shared with the Chinese government. That was that. I deleted the download there and then. I now still use that computer, but now I log my rides manually on paper. Talk about a violation of privecy!
This is why tik-tok is such a huge risk as are a lot of the phone based games. Google also tracks EVERYWHERE you go with your phone on. You can get a download of it or select a specific day. I belong to many 71-3 Mustang groups as well as some Ford transmission groups. This forum is the best for the cars. The trans groups were very helpful and lacked the arrogant know-it-alls. I did get into a discussion recently about 72 351-4V ramair cars and one guy posted his Oct 71 build Marti that showed ramair as did the Eminger invoice. So that cleared up that in my mind (even though I think Ford was stopped at some point from doing so on the 4V).

Wouldn't play for me, some sort of error.
Weird...plays okay for me. Might just have to do a search on it. It is the trailer for the movie.

This is why tik-tok is such a huge risk as are a lot of the phone based games. Google also tracks EVERYWHERE you go with your phone on. You can get a download of it or select a specific day. I belong to many 71-3 Mustang groups as well as some Ford transmission groups. This forum is the best for the cars. The trans groups were very helpful and lacked the arrogant know-it-alls. I did get into a discussion recently about 72 351-4V ramair cars and one guy posted his Oct 71 build Marti that showed ramair as did the Eminger invoice. So that cleared up that in my mind (even though I think Ford was stopped at some point from doing so on the 4V).
Tik-Tok is a Chinese thing isn't it. I won't do it or Instagram either, but I do have messenger and WhatsApp. No Facebook on my phone either. Privicy has gone the way of the DoDo bird!

At the end they all know what we do with our phones with or without apps. Even your phone provider sells your usage data unless you go through the trouble of finding an obscure page where you can opt out. Even after opting out they will change policy after a year and reset all your security settings. And if all fails they then send a "whether" balloon to intercept communications. If you use a phone forget about privacy.

At the end they all know what we do with our phones with or without apps. Even your phone provider sells your usage data unless you go through the trouble of finding an obscure page where you can opt out. Even after opting out they will change policy after a year and reset all your security settings. And if all fails they then send a "whether" balloon to intercept communications. If you use a phone forget about privacy.
Agree and actually even a land line is not secure anymore either. We're F'd!!

Getting back to the subject, The results are pretty even it would seem. Most of us prefer the forum for accurate and detailed information, while the Facebook crowd if I can call them that, seem to prefer Facebook for quick info and or post pictures and general chit-chat. I would also guess that many on F/B are the younger Mustang owners who may prefer to use phones or tablets, rather than computers or lap-tops.
That's my take on the subject, so thanks to one and all for you input. It's been interesting.
Case closed.

I find Facebook pretty much useless when it comes to a technical discussion or sharing "how-to's" - it's just about OK for "conversational" subjects that can go off in any direction (including downhill, which seems to be really common on that platform).

Dedicated forums are just more productive from my experience. I had the same kind of experience when I was active the corvette forum - Facebook sucks, forums rule.

I have no problem with using my phone for forum browsing. Quite easy, actually.
I think the 'popularity' of FB groups is that everyone already has FB open on their phones all the time. No need to go anywhere else. Like Walmart....they want to be your one stop for everything.

Well, this is probably the last post on this subject, but I had to add one more comment.
In the interest of telling my story about my conversion to LED headlights and the resulting issue I had with water getting into the lamps after I got caught in a sudden freak thunderstorm, I joined two other FB groups for 71-73 Mustangs.
The responses were quite "interesting". Many of the people who did respond, are also on all the other FB groups as well. So I guess "all for one and one for all" comes to mind.
While many did "like" my story, I got several replies that basically said something to the effect "why bother, go spend $$$$$$ on Holley brand LED's or some other highly custom look that the Jeep crowd seem to like". I'm not cheap, but why spend big money when there are other solutions just as good out there for half the price.
people are people I guess and you can't make 'em all happy.

Back