Partial Cowl Panel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I thought I saw that repop partial lower cowl panels were available for our cars? I did a quick search at a few places and came up short. Any of you know if they are available?

Which parts? Dynacorn did list separate upper and lower cowls for 71-73.

There are only upper and lower pieces for 71-73 and they are freakin expensive to ship to EU... If you are lucky and able you could create a patch yourself, kinda depends on where the rust is.

There are only upper and lower pieces for 71-73 and they are freakin expensive to ship to EU... If you are lucky and able you could create a patch yourself, kinda depends on where the rust is.
There was some sort of a "hat" kit I bought from one of the Cougar parts sellers....I bought one of those and made the bowl portion of the lower cowl for one of my 71 Rancheros. Maybe I can do something similar again...although it may be worth it to just buy a lower cowl and cut that up. I need to inspect the driver's side. When I was young, naive, and unware of rusted cowls, I thought the windshield must be leaking when I'd find water inside the mustang. Uhg, I hate cowl work.

Last edited:
There was some sort of a "hat" kit I bought from one of the Cougar parts sellers....I bought one of those and made the bowl portion of the lower cowl for one of my 71 Rancheros. Maybe I can do something similar again...although it may be worth it to just buy a lower cowl and cut that up. I need to inspect the driver's side. When I was young, naive, and unware of rusted cowls, I thought the windshield must be leaking when I'd find water inside the mustang. Uhg, I hate cowl work.
Yea cowl work sucks. I closed that vent since I'm gonna put in aftermarket airco that doesn't need it. It's very rewarding once you're done though :)

I thought I saw that repop partial lower cowl panels were available for our cars? I did a quick search at a few places and came up short. Any of you know if they are available?
Do you have a photo of the rusted section? I never buy panels, I end up selling the ones I get for extra cash. This last Mustang came with complete floor panels, that I sold for 70% of the new price. Let someone else drill out all the spot welds and seam seal the next panel in, when the rust is usually a flow of water taking a certain path, or an accumulation of exfoliation from a damply stored area. Do you have a mig welder? I have a fancy newer 220 Miller that I hardly ever use. I use a 110 Miller for 80% of my body work. I bought it used @ 30 years ago. Name brand machines are worth their weight in gold. Needless to say, I may have purchased my 110 Miller for @ 700 dollars. I cheat on my templates, I don't even measure anymore, it's easier to use something flimsy and scribe in, sharpee in or pen n pencil in my shapes. I use my fingernail for detailed shapes, I just press for an imprint. It takes some familiarity on working with the sheet metal, it's easily bendable. I personally do not have any sophisticated shaping or forming equipment & can make most anything I set my mind to. You may have to look around for something to form the shape against. I personally buy sheets of steel @ 4 x 6 or 8 ft. It will definitely cut a person while handling it & I usually use old fashioned aircraft tin snips to cut it. All of the other pneumatic tools seem to have hang ups.

Back