Partial cowl repair possible?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
Hi all,

I am going through the 71 Mustang convertible I bought 4 months ago, I finally got the fenders off and did a cowl leak test. The passenger side Is bone dry but the water came straight in the drivers footwell.  It’s coming in from the far front corner, in-line with emergency brake and headlight dimmer.   As far as I can tell, it’s an area about the size of a golf ball that needs attention.

My question is,  anyone to a partial repair?  my budget can’t handle the expense of tearing the cowl out.My thought is, cut the corner off and get a repair in through the space marked in pic….my welder is coming to do quarter panel next week, might have him cut this corner off for inspection…

opinions?

C881AFAC-D24B-4D81-B5B9-A310734D21BE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

It can be done I guess but you are proposing a very small hole to work through. I am currently working both sides of my cowl and am cutting the corners off to get good access to the inside. I also found more rust than I bargained for...

Good luck!

Vincent.

The problem is the side upper frame is welded over the cowl cover….

I know, it's 50% of the pain when there is actually not neccesarily a problem with that part... I removed mine to get inside the cowl:

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5273.JPG

I removed the entire top of my cowl.  The passenger side was shot above the heater/ac box.  I'm glad I took the top off instead of trying to do a partial area repair.  Yes it takes time and a lot of work plus the windshield needs to come out but to me it was worth it.  I know that my cowl is solid and rust free.   Looks can be deceiving.

20180823_150525.jpg

The bottom side of the top of cowl was loaded with rust.  

20180906_182501.jpg

20180906_182457.jpg

20180923_120018.jpg

20181231_105346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 72 mach1 survivor, and even the though cowl looks pretty decent (I can still see factory paint in it and only some minor rust), I have a very small water leak coming down the heater box on the passenger side.

Is it more likely than not that I have pin hole rust spot inside the bottom cowl ?

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 5.42.22 PM.png

I just bought a 72 mach1 survivor, and even the though cowl looks pretty decent (I can still see factory paint in it and only some minor rust), I have a very small water leak coming down the heater box on the passenger side.

Is it more likely than not that I have pin hole rust spot inside the bottom cowl ?

View attachment 93501
I’d say yes. Many of our cars get leaks there.

Unfortunately, I did not have a choice in replacing my upper and lower cowling. Look at the state of it, that's UK weather for you. The upper and lower cowling was totally replaced but it meant a lot of equipment had to be removed. It was worth it in the end.

I think yours can be saved if its only that small area and paint the whole lot with a rust converter and then under coat it with a good metal protector.
Good Luck

Attachments

• mustang photos 016.jpg
    mustang photos 016.jpg
    307.4 KB
  • mustang photos 018.jpg
    mustang photos 018.jpg
    307.5 KB
  • mustang photos 056.jpg
    mustang photos 056.jpg
    300.6 KB
  • mustang photos 065.jpg
    mustang photos 065.jpg
    305.2 KB
Glad this resurfaced. One of the reasons I’m considering removing my dash was to inspect that area.
So, is it accessible from the interior? I believe I’m in good shape but, the fact remains the car sat for 3 years, unloved and uncared for by the previous owner. The fact rodents turned it into a tenement has me worried. Again there’s the caveat this is never going to see adverse weather but you can’t plan a pop up thunderstorm along our coast creating some havoc if we’re out enjoying a Saturday or Sunday drive.

Back