Lower Cowl Repair Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to note; the lower cowl for an A/C car is different than a non-A/C car. I can't really remember, but I think the A/C version had two duct holes and the non-A/C version had only one. The damage done in this area, even if the upper cowl is good is usually the result of rodents nesting in this area if the car has been stationary too long. It some times causes damage further down the floorboard if the damage breaks through.

One thing to note; the lower cowl for an A/C car is different than a non-A/C car. I can't really remember, but I think the A/C version had two duct holes and the non-A/C version had only one. The damage done in this area, even if the upper cowl is good is usually the result of rodents nesting in this area if the car has been stationary too long. It some times causes damage further down the floorboard if the damage breaks through.
Flipped.

Non ac has two vents.

Ac car only has the vent on the passenger side.

Good to know--not many AMC guys out there.

Jack
I've worked on quite a few AMCs over the years, lots of complete engines done at Valley Head Service when I was their engine builder. I like 'em, My opinion is that the 390 seems to be the most used for performance, seems to have a bigger following than the 401s. AMC came out with the "dogleg"exhaust port head at some point ( 68? ) , and they are good breathers. When overhauling a set of heads, if you're going to need valves, guides, seats, you replace the 3/8ths guides with 11/32" inserts, install the Chevy 2.02/ 1.600 valves, and you've just taken a bunch of weight off of the valve train, which equals quicker revving, then replace the positive stop screw-in studs with Ford small block length screw-in studs for total adjustability. The stock AMC valve sizes are the same as the performance Chevy valve sizes, so it's a drop in . There's a couple of well known oil system mods which are simple, as well as shimming the oil bypass poppet spring for better pressure ( the oil pump is mounted externally, so access to the spring can be done after its running, in the chassis, similar to big block Mopars. Most other hop-up parts are available, like edelbrock intakes, headers, ignitions. Performance AMCs had T-10 four speeds ( good trans), and locking rear ends available. Shirley Shahan ( Drag-On Lady) was a top runner with her '68 AMX at the drags. I've done a couple of conversions where an extra set of head bolts were added to the block and heads to contain the 13.0:1 compression the drag cars were using. Anyway, too many people only know something about a Chevy, but there is more out there to know, and you'd be surprised to know how fast they are.

Back