PCV setup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading about it, a lot of guys say they use it with full exhaust with no problems. I couldn't find anyone who said it didn't work either with full exhaust or open.

Im going to try a basic pcv first and see how much luck I have. if its not working "enough" I may install the cc evac.

They are used on nearly every stock or superstock drag car. My understanding is if you have backpressure from the exhaust system they are ineffective.
I don't think it matters if you have backpressure because it works by creating a negative pressure (vacuum) in the tube because of the angle of the tube and the exhaust flowing past it. The best way to check if it is working would be to hook up a vacuum gauge to the hose after the one way valve. Then check that amount against what a pcv system generates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully ill get my pcv set up finished today, ill do a vacuum test and post it. Im not sure what a good spec would be but hopefully its enough so I dont have to pull the headers and weld the CC evac in. But if i do, so be it. If i do ill also post those specs. Maybe someone here who has a pcv set up could pull a vacuum test so we have some numbers to go by...

Also since they have one way check valves in the collectors I dont think back pressure wouldnt be a problem. or at least too much of a problem...

Hopefully ill get my pcv set up finished today, ill do a vacuum test and post it. Im not sure what a good spec would be but hopefully its enough so I dont have to pull the headers and weld the CC evac in. But if i do, so be it. If i do ill also post those specs. Maybe someone here who has a pcv set up could pull a vacuum test so we have some numbers to go by...

Also since they have one way check valves in the collectors I dont think back pressure wouldnt be a problem. or at least too much of a problem...
I'm not sure if you'll be able to find that spec. I agree with you on back pressure not being a problem because you are still getting flow through the exhaust.

Pcv done. Have not driven it yet, but I did take a vacuum reading- quickly and steadily jumping from 9-13in at the pcv valve hose. Used standard parts pcv# v178, and a 3/8 barbed fitting at the manifold.

Pcv done. Have not driven it yet, but I did take a vacuum reading- quickly and steadily jumping from 9-13in at the pcv valve hose. Used standard parts pcv# v178, and a 3/8 barbed fitting at the manifold.
That makes sense that its close to engine vacuum since that's where it gets the vacuum from. What is your engine vacuum? You can tell how efficient you pcv system is or if it has any leaks.

The new pcv is my only vacuum source to be honest. I have a 1" spacer I drilled for when I.set the carb up, which ill probobly need to do again. I can't close the hood with the spacer on so its a real pain to tune. You would think that even a race carb would come with just one vacuum port at least.

The new pcv is my only vacuum source to be honest. I have a 1" spacer I drilled for when I.set the carb up, which ill probobly need to do again. I can't close the hood with the spacer on so its a real pain to tune. You would think that even a race carb would come with just one vacuum port at least.
Yeah but that would be too easy and nice of them. I think you should be fine with that manifold vacuum port that you have plugged unless that's where you have it hooked up now. But if I've understood correctly you drilled out a one inch carb spacer for a vacuum port.

The rear manifold port is now plumbed to my pcv. I only use the 1" spacer with the vacuum port when I tune the carb because I can't close the hood with it on.

not to over simply, but could you just put a t-fitting on the manifold port so you don't need that 1" spacer.

True, to be honest I had forgotten that there was a port back there until I was looking my engine over before my pcv job. but Im using a 3/8 hose for the pcv, id have to find a manifold fitting that had a 3/8 on one side and a 5/16 on the other. Maybe the vacuum tree like was mentioned earlier, I looked around but couldnt find much on it.

In my current set up I'm using the 3/8 barb (3rd link) directly in the manifold, Ill post some pics when my internet at home stops acting up. (I'm using my phone now)

Is anyone else having problems posting pics? Everytime I add a pic to my reply it pulls up a blank page and nothing loads up, ?? Ive tried several times now and its not working. Maybe a moderator has a answer? I tried the tinypic link and it seemed to work.

142d4dv.jpg
[/img]

spacer.png
[/img]

15o9pqf.jpg
[/img]

Back