PMGR Starter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
My starter has been turning quite slowly and my battery (which I thought was the culprit) seems to be fine.  So, I am upgrading to the PMGR.  I see many have bought from DB Electrical and the price could not be more attractive at $47 with the Summit racing unit around $200 or so.  Now that some of you have had the DB unit for a while do you feel it was not worth saving the money or has this starter been durable.  I hate getting stuck and would pay for the pricier unit but if the DB performs as well it seems like a waste.  (I have a stock 73 351c).

Thanks for your responses.

I have had NO problems at all with mine. Worked great when the 351c was stock and now that it is heavily modified it still turns over no problem and this is all with a fairly old battery.

I have no issues with mine. Mind you though that my car is not driven very often. Then again, before I fixed my ignition issues I had to crank 6-7 times before it would fire.

Anyway, it still sounds as strong as when I installed it nearly 2 years ago. I bought it because it was cheap and got reasonable good reviews. I thought I'd give it a shot eventhough I had to import from the US to EU (it's manufactured in China btw).

My advice is: go for it :)

Thanks Guys. Both of you were people I had noticed had done this install so I appreciate the response. Like everything out there some people hate the product and others are quite happy. I had my car to a point where it basically turns right over (carb and timing had bene off) but now there has been a slow decline in terms of the way the starter is cranking. No sense in waiting any longer to get that taken care of. I still have to take a closer look at the battery as well.

bought this one on E-bay

New Starter Ford Mini PMGR Racing 302 351 Higher Torque MUSTANG TRUCK

I had a pricey Hi-torque from macLeod, that was turning the 351c already much better than than original.

But with this one its like I crank with no plugs. A world of difference.

Note that depending on previous setup, you might need change the wiring at starter solenoid

3 years and no issues
Awesome to hear.  For the price and increase in starting performance and the benefits of less draw etc. it seems like the right move.  I have yet to have my car at a concourse event so I am not overly concerned about a starter not meeting that criteria!

Back