PoFoMoCo's 1971 Shelby Europa build October 2022

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored a nice pair of original CS Shelby 351 Cleveland valve covers! This is a nice used pair, heavily oxidized but in great condition for 53 year old parts. They are all aluminum and need to be cleaned and refurbished. Once I get them clean, I'll decide if I want to leave them bare (Boss 351) or paint them with black base and aluminum fins. In the CS Shelby world these are extremely rare and original equipment for a 1971 Europa.

As you can see, Dr. Harvima's medium brown metallic convertible has the same valve covers painted in a black base with the bare aluminum fins.

Attachments

• VC1sml.jpg
    VC1sml.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
  • VC2sml.jpg
    VC2sml.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1971 Shelby Europa engine.jpg
    1971 Shelby Europa engine.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This afternoon I took advantage of some free time to finish the RBD wheel pad. Even though my car is no longer as delivered, it did have a rim-blow wheel from the factory. The pad was in fair shape and I'd previously cleaned and degreased it. So, it was ready for a couple passes with SEM 15243 satin black paint.

All three aluminum trim pieces were in great shape as well as the three plastic inserts. Yes, I have much more time invested in this wheel restoration than it deserves, it was a bit of a dog. But, it's in my face 100% of my drive time so I wanted it as nice as possible. Not perfect, but I will enjoy it.

The wheel is coming along too, hopefully I will have photos of the wheel and pad together by the weekend.

After:

View attachment 75588
Very nice! I have always sent my steering wheels out for restoration. I never had the confidence to attempt to restore the steering wheel myself.

Very nice! I have always sent my steering wheels out for restoration. I never had the confidence to attempt to restore the steering wheel myself.
Thanks Rich. I feel the wheel is a 'nice" driver quality wheel and will fit into my build well. I thought about shipping it to Best in Show, they do incredible work. Their final product transforms the RBD wheel into a piece of artwork. But IMHO, that would be too over-the-top for my car.

I really wish I had some good documentation on the a special Italian steering wheels that Dubois installed on the original cars. Both convertibles now have 1969 RBD wheels as the original steering wheels are long gone. One of our members (71Shelby) has the last Sportsroof built and it is still an unrestored original. I have PM'd him to see if he'll share some pictures of his car and the original steering wheel for future reference. 71Shelby was last logged onto the site in October 2022. Hopefully he'll pop back in soon.

Here are some pics of a possible original steering wheel.

Attachments

• OriginalRDB1.jpg
    OriginalRDB1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 0
  • OriginalRBD2.jpg
    OriginalRBD2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yesterday I was able to wedge in a few minutes on the mustang and I installed the RBD wheel. I also passed the older walnut Grant steering wheel and hub kit to one of our members @tashakes. Thanks Eddie!

Attachments

• RBD1.jpg
    RBD1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RBD2.jpg
    RBD2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • RBD3.jpg
    RBD3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
It's been a busy weekend, but I did find some time for the Mustang. While I've got the hood off, I'm preparing to detail the engine bay and install the original Shelby Europa valve covers. I pulled some poorly restored parts to sandblast for the correct paint and I sorted out some non-factory wiring. I also finished the Dynacorn repro ram air base assembly and air cleaner lid.

Lastly, I've added a need for original horns and a washer fluid reservoir to my must-have list!

RamAirParts1.jpg

RamAirParts2.jpg

RamAirParts4.jpg

RamAirParts3.jpg

Attachments

• STBCap.jpg
    STBCap.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CShel1.jpg
    CShel1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • STB1.jpg
    STB1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AirVap2.jpg
    AirVap2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AirVap1.jpg
    AirVap1.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Front2.jpg
    Front2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
I made a mad dash to get these done today and the parts I blasted came out great. I ordered a vapor canister cap as this one is too far gone. Now, I have to decide on what to do with the valve covers. Holy smokes they cleaned up better than I expected. Do I leave them natural, crinkle paint (as original), powder coat or.... so many choices :cool:

Attachments

• IMG-2569.jpg
    IMG-2569.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2570.jpg
    IMG-2570.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2573.jpg
    IMG-2573.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2574.jpg
    IMG-2574.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I made a mad dash to get these done today and the parts I blasted came out great. I ordered a vapor canister cap as this one is too far gone. Now, I have to decide on what to do with the valve covers. Holy smokes they cleaned up better than I expected. Do I leave them natural, crinkle paint (as original), powder coat or.... so many choices :cool:
Nice clean parts! I like the natural finish the VCs originally had - personal preference - smooth with sanded fins. With the sand blasted finish I think I'd go with the black. The other choice would be to finish them like @tpj71mach did with his <https://7173mustangs.com/threads/’71-mach-1-resto-project.40246/page-11>.

Dr. Harvima's car has the crinkle black painted VCs. Do the other Shelby Europa's you've seen have the crinkle black also?
Yes they are and the NOS VCs I’ve found for stupid $$$$ are crinkle black as well. Definitely will be an important piece to get as close to the original part as possible.

I believe I have acquired a period correct Italian made "Personal" steering wheel, just like the original steering wheel upfitted in the Shelby Europa. While I don't believe this particular wheel came from an original Europa, it is correct for my build. As a bonus, this wheel is stamped with a manufacturer's build date code of 5-71. This build date is in line with the production dates of the original cars beginning in late January 1971.

The wheel needs the be cleaned and restored, but it is in outstanding condition for being 52 years old. Fortunately, I found and purchased a Nardi wheel hub adapter and horn kit that works with this wheel. I will post more pictures once I get the wheel home and restored. I posted a picture of an original steering wheel in post #146 from the blue Europa GT350 (VIN 1F02M202548) above.

Attachments

• PersWhl1.jpg
    PersWhl1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PersWhl2.jpg
    PersWhl2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PersWhl3.jpg
    PersWhl3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
My only criticism of your work is the blue vacuum motor on the inlet tube. It ought to be cadmium color. Eastwood sell a pretty good cadmium paint.
Other than that, an awesome job coming along.

Amazing work and dedication!! Thank you for keeping us posted.
I assume that the clear plastic fuel filter is temporary. Maybe you talked about it earlier and I missed it.
Yes sir, it is on the list as I detail and correct the engine area. The red jump wire will be gone as well.

I believe I have acquired a period correct Italian made "Personal" steering wheel, just like the original steering wheel upfitted in the Shelby Europa. While I don't believe this particular wheel came from an original Europa, it is correct for my build. As a bonus, this wheel is stamped with a manufacturer's build date code of 5-71. This build date is in line with the production dates of the original cars beginning in late January 1971.

The wheel needs the be cleaned and restored, but it is in outstanding condition for being 52 years old. Fortunately, I found and purchased a Nardi wheel hub adapter and horn kit that works with this wheel. I will post more pictures once I get the wheel home and restored. I posted a picture of an original steering wheel in post #146 from the blue Europa GT350 (VIN 1F02M202548) above.
Wow that's awesome! I don't know how you find all of these very specific parts, you must be part bloodhound. :LOL:

Back