Possible FMX issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 "H" Code Mach 1
:s

So ever since i picked up my 73 Mach 1 in February i have noticed that when the vehicle is in motion it makes a god awful whining sound. Up until today i have not been able to pin point its location or where its coming from because of the fact that it only makes the sound when its in drive going down the road. When first started it doesn't make the sound, but once warmed up and in motion it happens, when in drive and you roll to a stop the second the car stops the sound stops.

So today i chalked the front tires lifted the rear and put it on stands got in the car started her up and put her in drive. With the ass up in the air and the rear wheels (wheel) spinning i was able to record the video below to show you all what im dealing with. To say the least with all the thumbs up and people screaming "Cool Car" while driving around town is awesome but its still embarrassing while its also making this very loud whining sound that everyone can hear.

So the question is, does anyone happen to know what is wrong by listening to this and what i need to do to fix it? She is an "H" code 351 2v with FMX tranny. It seems to me its coming from the tranny.

[video=youtube]

:s

So ever since i picked up my 73 Mach 1 in February i have noticed that when the vehicle is in motion it makes a god awful whining sound. Up until today i have not been able to pin point its location or where its coming from because of the fact that it only makes the sound when its in drive going down the road. When first started it doesn't make the sound, but once warmed up and in motion it happens, when in drive and you roll to a stop the second the car stops the sound stops.

So today i chalked the front tires lifted the rear and put it on stands got in the car started her up and put her in drive. With the ass up in the air and the rear wheels (wheel) spinning i was able to record the video below to show you all what im dealing with. To say the least with all the thumbs up and people screaming "Cool Car" while driving around town is awesome but its still embarrassing while its also making this very loud whining sound that everyone can hear.

So the question is, does anyone happen to know what is wrong by listening to this and what i need to do to fix it? She is an "H" code 351 2v with FMX tranny. It seems to me its coming from the tranny.

[video=youtube]

The FMX is very sensitive to proper fluid level. Make sure it is neither under or over filled.

Make sure the kickdown lever isn't stuck in the kickdown position.

Other than that my guess would be a bad pump or valve body issue.

Yeah i checked the fluid, and it was just a smidge low, but by hardly any. Took like half a quart to get it smack in the middle of the high and low marks on the stick. Took her for a nice Sunday drive after hoping maybe adding the little bit of fluid would quiet it down and no Bueno. Same sound, at the same volume. Now I'm pondering driving her to the Morro Bay Car show at the beach this weekend because its little over 100 miles away.

Awesome problem solved, i finally was able to get the Mach 1 into a transmission shop and they were able to figure out that the rear seal on the trans was the culprit making all the noise. $54.00 charge for part and labor and she is now quite and home. They did mention they have never heard a rear seal ever do anything like that however so at least it made them think. Thanks to those who tried to give suggestions.

Awesome problem solved, i finally was able to get the Mach 1 into a transmission shop and they were able to figure out that the rear seal on the trans was the culprit making all the noise. $54.00 charge for part and labor and she is now quite and home. They did mention they have never heard a rear seal ever do anything like that however so at least it made them think. Thanks to those who tried to give suggestions.
Congratulations on finding a competent and honest transmission shop. I thought they were extinct.

Thanks i was impressed that they didnt charge me $300 bucks to do it or claim there was alot of work needed, when i picked it up they also stated that they noticed the rear U-Joint was a crappy Japanese knock off brand that is shot and suggested getting it changed out. I went ahead and gave them the business of an extra $30 bucks on top the rear seal change to fix the U-Joint as well, just one less thing for me to worry about since im planning on driving it this weekend to the Morro Bay Car show thats little over 100 miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back