Power Brake Booster Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Having tried a variety of rust proof and gasoline resistant paints on my car's power brake booster with little luck. I think one issue is the master cylinder sits at a slight angle so it is possible for the brake fluid to leak out the back onto the brake booster and back of the master cylinder. In time this leakage softens the paint and rust starts.

Just wondering what paint (or coating) other members used and how effective was it.

Mac

Brake fluid is a great paint stripper. (I used it to clean the overspray and crap off my rear light lenses). At the booster, any good quality automotive paint should be ok. If I remember, I used a Duplicolor semi gloss black over a good prep and prime.
EDIT: I probably should have mentioned to fix the leak first.

Last edited:
Just a word of caution: If you switch to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid you will have to completely remove all of the conventional DOT 3 alcohol based fluid from the brake system's hydraulics. This will require a thorough and complete flush. Dot 3/4 and Dot 5 do not play well together.

Ron

Back