Power steering help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Just picked up my car after engine rebuild yesterday.

Got it home and did some detailing. After dinner took her out and power steering is gone!

Car has new pwr steering pump, steering gear box and hoses!

Fluid level is fine.

Belt is new and tight.

Pulley is spinning, no slippage.

Maybe wrong fluid was put in?

What is the correct fluid?

Could it be a bad Cardone pump rebuild? How do I check for this?

Thanks.

Sure sounds like a bad pump. However, try this. Take your coil wire off so the engine won't start. Disconnect your pressure line at the gearbox and wrap a rag around it while standing outside the car. Have someone crank the engine and see if you have pressure. If not, Pump's bad or line is plugged.

If you have old lines they will deteriorate from the inside and plug the discharge on the pump. If first thing doesn't work. Try disconnecting the line directly at the pump and again hold a rag as a deflector. Trash may blow out. Best I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure sounds like a bad pump. However, try this. Take your coil wire off so the engine won't start. Disconnect your pressure line at the gearbox and wrap a rag around it while standing outside the car. Have someone crank the engine and see if you have pressure. If not, Pump's bad or line is plugged.

If you have old lines they will deteriorate from the inside and plug the discharge on the pump. If first thing doesn't work. Try disconnecting the line directly at the pump and again hold a rag as a deflector. Trash may blow out. Best I've got.
Thanks for the tips.

The pump is still under warrantee so I guess I'll just return it and get another.

Man what a hassle!

Also you can start the engine and turn the wheels from stop to stop several times to get the air out, you should be able to hear the pump working, then pull the dipstick and check for bubbles on it...if you have bubbles the pump is working.

"New" power steering pump? A new pump will fail in the first 60 seconds if it isnt filled and primed before it run.i just bought a replacement Cardone that is concours and has a warrantee. Looks fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok if they put modern power steering fluid in the oem style pump it won't work.

They are suppose to use type F transmission fluid in the power steering system.

This is assuming they rebuilt the pump correctly or the pump didnt fail.

Today I disconnected the pressure hose from the gear box.

Placed that end of the hose into a gallon jug.

Diiconnected the coil wire and cranked it a few times.

No fluid shot out of the hose, so that means pump failure.

Am I correct?

Fluid should have been shooting out. While cranking.

I guess I'll be putting back my old noisey yet functional pump today.

i would have expected fluid too. but perhaps you might try draining from the resivoir and refilling with new fluid type F as mentioned above...and turning the wheels back and forth a bit after it is refilled and the engine is running? might make sense to give it another shot before removing it? and...the shop that installed it used a pulley tool and not a hammer right?

i would have expected fluid too. but perhaps you might try draining from the resivoir and refilling with new fluid type F as mentioned above...and turning the wheels back and forth a bit after it is refilled and the engine is running? might make sense to give it another shot before removing it? and...the shop that installed it used a pulley tool and not a hammer right?
Yep I used a pulley removal and instal tool.

best of luck on it man, but if it doesnt workout take a look at the Cardone thompson pumps. not expensive and look good. They are the only group i found that is very active in remanufacturing our pumps. their site had a lot of detail.

No biggie just replace the pump. If you have the pully installer/remover tool you can get it done in a hour. They sell referbs and you can return yours for a core refund.

I just gave away a pump 3 weeks ago I wasn't using to bad I could of sent you it.

No biggie just replace the pump. If you have the pully installer/remover tool you can get it done in a hour. They sell referbs and you can return yours for a core refund.

I just gave away a pump 3 weeks ago I wasn't using to bad I could of sent you it.
Thanks anyways!

Today Rock Auto had a Lares rebuilt unit available so I ordered it.

Should be here by Friday.

Guess I won't be going to Carlisle all ford show on friday!

Is it easy to replace just the pump part? Are special tools required?

I just rebuilt my original PS pump, not hard to do at all if you're just swapping the pump portion. You'll need a PS Pulley Puller/Installer tool (rented mine from Autozone) and a 15/16ths wrench, 11/16ths, and 5/8ths wrench to get the various nuts on the back off (I make no assurance I'm remembering sizes right but that should be close) just make sure you work in a clean space and wipe everything down really well. Hydraulic systems don't deal well with contaminant, especially not these since there's no filter element. Overall though, very simple to do.

I just rebuilt my original PS pump, not hard to do at all if you're just swapping the pump portion. You'll need a PS Pulley Puller/Installer tool (rented mine from Autozone) and a 15/16ths wrench, 11/16ths, and 5/8ths wrench to get the various nuts on the back off (I make no assurance I'm remembering sizes right but that should be close) just make sure you work in a clean space and wipe everything down really well. Hydraulic systems don't deal well with contaminant, especially not these since there's no filter element. Overall though, very simple to do.
If I replace just the pump portion, will I need a rebuild kit?

Does it require new seals or "O" rings and stuff?

Thanks

If I replace just the pump portion, will I need a rebuild kit?

Does it require new seals or "O" rings and stuff?

Thanks
I don't think so, it really depends on what comes with the pump that you get. There is a main "O" ring that goes around the pump to seal it to the PS Pump body and a small paper gasket that goes around the rear pressure fitting to seal it as well. The pump should come with these as they are required to properly install it. I'd be very surprised if it didn't. Here's a youtube of some guys doing a 69 PS pump. This should be dang near identical to what you're going to have to do

Hope this helps!

honestly go with a replacement unit, they come with a warranty usually and then you just have to worry about swapping the good for the bad.

they sell pully install/removal kits, like macheng talked about Its good to have one around since you need one if you want to swap an alternator also.

the rebuild comes with a bunch of seals. but you still need to pull the pulley off to work on it. if you have the pulley installer/remover then just save time and swap em instead of rebuild them.

when you get your old one off, you could try rebuilding that one, this way if something goes wrong you still have a good one on the car and you can drive it. otherwise you might be sitting around half the summer with a DOA pump trying to find the time to work on it and buy all the tools you need.

I swapped one off a junker, just took the whole thing pulley and all, then cleaned it up and repainted it. popped it on and good to go. then i got some NOS pumps still in the ford box with the original green metallic paint and i sat on those for a few years hhahaha

72H i have one sitting in a box also heh heh, upcoming project. The part that surprised me about the rebuild was the pump/housing description. You can buy the rebuild kit, or a rebuilt pump....but you still gotta pull it outta the housing, which is the resivoir, which still need to be cleaned up and painted and sealed, which isnts detailed much in the description of the suppliers. So a simple O- ring kit becomes a 2 weekend rebuild with painting, before you even look at the hoses. Becomes a big project quickly...which is why i have a new rebuilt pump in a box untill i have a real problem with my original factory PS.

f117rt, Have a Harbor Freight close? Got my puller/installer there, cost around $15 I think. Made in china but it has lasted a couple years pulling and installing. Has been a Life saver, Somebody tried to use a pipe wrench on one of my pump pulleys. Poor guy had to have tore up his hands.

Back