Pros/Cons of wider tires for racing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok I was thinking of going wider on my tires for road racing/autoX and an overall more aggressive stance. Currently I have 225 in the fronts with 275 in the rears. I wanted to up it to 245 in the fronts and 295 in the rears. But I am hearing mix reviews about this. For those of you who race what is better the size i have now? or the wider fitments? It isnt a DD only a weekend driver so im not to worried about rotating them.

Wider tires give better traction on dry surfaces, and if properly designed they can also improve traction on wet surfaces. However, as the water gets deeper they are more likely to hydroplane. At lower speeds they can make it harder to turn the steering wheel on non-power steering cars. The wider tires in the rear can also try to push the car in a straight line at lower speeds, but with the tires you want in the front it shouldn't be a problem.

I have been autocrossing a few times now with my 245-40-18 and 285-40-18 combination. It performs well for what I have in it. A posi and a little better gearing would help too. My only loss of traction comes from the open diff on acceleration.

The wheels are designed for the 94-04 Mustangs. I'm not sure of the offset, I'd have to look it up. My car is lowered a generous 3" in the front and has 2" blocks in the rear. I'm using stock springs, KYB gas Ajust shocks with 1-1/8 front and 3/4 rear swaybars. I'd highly recommend the set-up for starters along with a good set of subframe connectors.

Here's my wheels; I have 1/2" spacers and long studs.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007BAA/94-04-Mustang-SVE-Wheel-Anthracite-5-Lug-18X9

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007BBA/1994-04-Mustang-Anthracite-Sve-Deep-Dish-Anniversary-Wheel-1

My only loss of traction comes from the open diff on acceleration.
Going to a trac-lock will certainly help with that. On the other hand, an open differential can help prevent fishtailing as you accelertae out of a curve since one wheel maintains road speed.

Yup...A good limited slip is a great all around track rear end...Your open dif is better for cornering.....Traction lock better for strait lines...Counts the style of racing you plan to stick too..And sounds like you got some pretty wide tires as it is..And wider always helps when it comes to corners and taking off....But no matter how wide the tires are..You will still loose some traction during accelerating specially if you got some power under the hood....Heck even lambo's and AMG's with the widest tires known to man still have issues tring to keep the power to the ground...I seen a viper loose traction accelerating on the drag stip and eat the wall with the biggest drag slicks i even seen on a stock car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back