Prototyping

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
It's not too often my day job and my hobbies really intertwine (I work for a software company). But I'm been messing around with microprocessors lately and it's really got my thinking about some new possibilities for our old mustangs. If you are not familiar with microprocessors, they are basically cheap mini computers able to process/'compute' codes or instructions. They can take an input, like from a sensor, and output something based on the sensor reading.

Here are a few examples of ideas I had to integrate microprocessors into our classic mustangs...

Sequential taillights - This would be easy to pull off with a single microprocessor and some LED lights - I'm guessing for less than $50. The microprocessor could not only make the taillights sequential, but it would regulate the voltage to the LEDs so you could use standard high intensity LEDs from RadioShack (costing a few bucks) verses the expensive versions make specific for the mustangs.

Door/Trunk Ajar Indicator - Lights like this are taken for granted in our modern cars, but would be easy to duplicate with a microprocessor. A push button sensor in the door jam connected to the processor and an LED is all you need. You could have an LED for each door/trunk light up when Ajar, or you could have a screen with a digital picture of your car with the door open!

Digital Temp Set - A cool idea would be to have temp sensors in the cab of the car connected to a processor, servo motors (precise controllable motors), and a temp control knob. The driver could set the temp on the digital screen with the push buttons, and the servo motors would control the wire controls on the heater/air box - The processor would tell the servo how long to keep the vents open to reach the preset air temp.

Engine Warning lights - Idiot lights would be easy to tie into the current gauges (electrical gauges) and have a light go off and/or a alarm to go off.

Backup dinging thing - Small sensor connected to the rear bumper and a piezo sensor (can create a beeping noise). As you get closer, the beeping would be louder and faster.

Other ideas...

Remote door poppers/keyless entry/

I'm not really far enough along in my own project where this would be too useful to build these electronics into my car, but I would love to talk to some of you guys that are further along that would be interesting in using a microprocessor in your mustang. The supply cost to prototype/build these devices is dirt CHEAP (sensors range from $1 to $15, processors are $15, LEDs are a few cents, etc), but companies like Dakota Digital have huge profit margins because there is not much competition, and places like Dakota Digital have hours and hours in development/product testing.

Send me a PM if you are interested getting one of these projects going for your car. if it's doable, I can price out the parts and let you know how much it would cost. The hardest part is the coding, so if I can get some of these codes out of the way now, it's less I have to do on my car later. It's just too dang hot to work on my car now, so a least I will be doing something car related that's productive!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could sure make some money with a sequential tail light setup. CJPony parts has a setup for our cars for $212. If you could do it for $50 think of the possibilities. It would be a good idea to focus your talent on one project at a time. If you could do the sequential tail light setup, count me in.

Sequential tail lights, automatic head lights, intermittent wipers, headlight off delay, radio off delay, temp. Gauge (outside and inside )

Few I've thought about.

I've given some of these thought as well! I've got a Micro in my dash that controls my RGB Leds. I've thought about doing the Digital Gauge set-up, and adding a Micro to track mileage so that I can see what kind of mileage I'm getting.

Latest posts

Back