Sequential LED tail lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Considering installing on my car. Would like to hear from anyone who already changed their lights over to LED sequential. Any issues? Are you satisfied? How long have the new lights been in your car?

Thanks!
Mac

If memory serves me right, “mrgmhale” (a member) has posted or has a youtube video on his sequential led taillights.
a few years ago, I bought a set that needs a separate power source for it to run (but I haven’t gotten around to installing it yet).
i understand that there is a newer technology/version out that was installed by Gilbert hale That doesnt need this specIan power source.
I recommend looking his info up....

I did mine (1971 Mach 1) with the Easy Performance kit. They were "easy" to install, no issues there and they were helpful during the ordering/selection process. The lights have a plethora of sequential options (a little button inside the light housing is pushed to select the sequence) and subsequently do need a power wire to maintain the "set" choice of sequential flashers. I did get their upgraded flasher unit and they work just fine. I did this about 6 - 9 months ago.
The only thing that bugged me was that it took from what I recall 4 - 5 weeks (or so to get) but they charged my credit card the day I placed the order. I brought this to their attention and the reply was something to do with their software ordering process. My suggestion to them was charge the credit card when the order ships.

I installed LED taillights on both of our 1973 Mustangs. Initially both sets were from Easy Performance, and I needed to run a separate Switched 12 volt wire into the trunk to power the LED panels for the Sequential Flashing feature to work I knew about that special wire in advance). I needed to get power back to the trunk anyway, to power tha wireless backup camera (the "wireless" feature is for the video signal only, the camera and transmitter still need to be powered via a 12 volt switch circuit). The Easy Performance LED panels worked great. Later I came across another vendor offering LED taillight panels, but his design included a microprocessor on each taillight panel, so he did not require a separate 12 volt circuit to be run for Sequential Flashing. Despite the fact our Mach 1 LED Sequential Flashing was working perfectly well, I decided to get yet another LED panel kit from the alternative vendor (VintageLEDs,com) just to see how differently their system was designed.

The VintageLEDs.com panels installed perfectly, as did Easy Performance), and sure enough, I did not need the external power supply. In fairness I need to advise that Easy Performance changed their LED panel design, and they also no longer require the 12 volt switched power to get Sequential Flashing to work. But, the VintageLEDs were also denser, leading to their panels being brighter than the older style Easy Performance LED panels. I never measured how much brighter the VintageLEDs were, as both were far brighter than the oem incandescent light bulbs.

Depending on how much total amperage draws you have on your Turn Signal circuits, you may need to replace the original oem flashers for Turn Signal and 4 way Emergency Flashing to an Electronic Flasher. In fact, I would just bite the bullet and replace them both. The pricing for the new flashers at very inexpensive at the VintageLEDs.com site. I have not checked pricing lately for flashers from Easy Performance.

I have two videos on the LED taillight related work. One shows how to replace the old taillight incandescent bulbs with a new set of LED light panels. That YouTube video is at:

The link showing how to replace the flashers is at:

In short, I am very pleased with both LED sets, but due to the denser LEDs I lean toward VintageLEDs.com. That said, the Easy Performance LED panels on our 73 Mustang Convertible are nice enough and bright enough, that I do not plan to replace them with a set from VintageLEDs.com. I only swapped out the LEDs in the Mach 1 with the VintageLEDs.com units to see how easy they were to install, and to see if I could tell how much brighter they are then the Easy Performance LEDs.

Last edited:
I ought to mention that I did not run a separate switched 12v circuit back to the trunk of our 73 vert for the Easy Performance LED panels, nor for the Backup Camera system. Rather, I installed a headlight relay, and used Circuit #640 (Throttle Position Solenoid) to trigger the Headlight Relay on any time the car is running (or ignition switch is in the Run position). Then I used the load side of current to feed both the low beam headlight circuit and the parking light circuits. After that I spliced the parking light circuit (Circuit #14, Brown wire) into the Easy Performance LED panel power wire for the Sequential Flashing to work, and the Backup Camera circuitry. I had wanted to install the headlight relay anyway, so the headlights are on any time we are driving the vert (Mr. Safety Says...).

Last edited:
I used Easy Performance. They accidentally sent me two left turn signal circuits. When I installed, both the right and the left sequenced in the same direction. Agghh! I called and they apologized and offered to send me a new right side unit. Or… Tim walked me thru a modification that would fix the circuit. Not wanting to wait, I opted for the mod which worked as promised. Very thankful to Tim for owning the mistake and helping me get the turn signals working quickly.

I used Easy Performance. They accidentally sent me two left turn signal circuits. When I installed, both the right and the left sequenced in the same direction. Agghh! I called and they apologized and offered to send me a new right side unit. Or… Tim walked me thru a modification that would fix the circuit. Not wanting to wait, I opted for the mod which worked as promised. Very thankful to Tim for owning the mistake and helping me get the turn signals working quickly.
That was kind of you to be willing to modify the one board to correct the sequenced flashing direction. They have a nice product and no longer require a separate switch wire to their modules. One of our 73 Mustangs has easy Performance LED panels in it.

Back