Pulley bracket diagrams

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcesArneson

73' Vert with NACA Ram Air
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
'73 Vert with 4R70W
351C Ram Air 2V 441 hp @ 6000 RPM
SEFI EEC-V (2004)
9" trac-loc limited slip 3.5:1
P-Zero 265/35ZR-19's front 305/30ZR-19's rear
Hey gang, trying to update my A/C and using a compressor and bracket assembly from an '89 crown vic which relocates the compressor to the passenger side so the lines don't run across the top of the engine. Does anyone have diagrams of the way the other brackets all fit together on a '73 Mustang at the front of the motor for a 351C. I think my water pump bolts are at different depths after the rebuild, nothing is lining up.

Hey gang, trying to update my A/C and using a compressor and bracket assembly from an '89 crown vic which relocates the compressor to the passenger side so the lines don't run across the top of the engine. Does anyone have diagrams of the way the other brackets all fit together on a '73 Mustang at the front of the motor for a 351C. I think my water pump bolts are at different depths after the rebuild, nothing is lining up.
Ummm... why would you want to do that?! Where are you planning on putting your heater hoses and upper radiator hose? Good luck figuring out the belts, too.

Unless you're up for some major bracketry fabrication, your best bet is to get a Sanden adapter plate from Classic Auto Air, Old Air, Nostalgic Air, et al, and put the new compressor back into the old space. This isn't my engine, but I have almost the same set-up (minus the cool Monte Carlo bar). Tuck the A/C hoses under the export braces and you barely can tell they're there.

1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+engine.jpg

This one IS my engine (before the I scored an OEM idler pulley assembly and installed). Tuck the A/C hoses under the export braces and you barely can tell they're there.
IMG_0705-1-1024x768.jpg

Thanks for the diagrams and pictures. I am trying a junkyard serpentine conversion which is why I was excited to see an ‘89 LTD Crown Vic in the junkyard. It has all the pulleys and brackets for a two belt serpentine set up for a SBF. I didn’t think a 351C would be too far off but it is. I like the Sanden systems but I didn’t want to spend $1200 on the conversion and another $1200 on the serpentine setup so I ordered a rebuild kit for the 17PA compressor from the Vic and am in the middle of hacking down the AC brackets.
My question about original brackets is due to the fact my water pump seems to have one of the exterior mount holes drilled a bit off Center. The power steering bracket is not lining up and I thought perhaps I was missing something.

Here is a pic I used to figure out what went where.
Man you wouldn’t think it would be so tough to find a pulley picture but look online for a while before I gave up and tossed the question out into the 7173 universe.

Ummm... why would you want to do that?! Where are you planning on putting your heater hoses and upper radiator hose? Good luck figuring out the belts, too.

Unless you're up for some major bracketry fabrication, your best bet is to get a Sanden adapter plate from Classic Auto Air, Old Air, Nostalgic Air, et al, and put the new compressor back into the old space. This isn't my engine, but I have almost the same set-up (minus the cool Monte Carlo bar). Tuck the A/C hoses under the export braces and you barely can tell they're there.

View attachment 91592

This one IS my engine (before the I scored an OEM idler pulley assembly and installed). Tuck the A/C hoses under the export braces and you barely can tell they're there.
View attachment 91593
Thanks that’s a great look. I am converting to serpentine and couldn’t find a way to keep the original compressor.

Man you wouldn’t think it would be so tough to find a pulley picture but look online for a while before I gave up and tossed the question out into the 7173 universe.
Be mindful that most serpentine drives use a reverse rotation water pump.

Be mindful that most serpentine drives use a reverse rotation water pump.
Yes that is exactly why I was happy to find the Crown Vic. Two belts. So water pump doesn’t have to run backwards.

Back