pushrod girdles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Do I need pushrod girdles if I machine heads for screw in studs on a set of 4bbl heads?

OK - couple of things.

1. You don't need to 'machine the heads for screw-in studs,' unless you want to run something bigger than factory bolts/stud holes. I used 7/16" Crane Cams screw-in studs on mine - didn't have the machine shop touch a thing, with regards to the rocker mounts.

Notice the rocker mounts - stock:

enginerebuild2.jpg

2. Yes, you'll want push-rod girdles regardless. Again, I didn't have mine machined, and used the CompCams pushrod girdles with the Crane Cams screw-in studs.

You can just make out the pushrod girdles - they're polished:

intake1.jpg

Mine are 2V heads, so results may vary (I don't think so, though). Hope this helps.

I bought the scorpion pedestal mount roller rockers for mine, I talked to a tech from summit today and he says the scorpions are a really good rocker and that now they come with a bolt that is stronger than the ones they used originally. As long as most of what I am running is close to stock that setting geometry should not be too bad, just the right push rod length. I told him which cam/pistons/heads I'm using and he says it sounds like a good build plan. I'm just thinking about later when I want to do a "real" build for a cleveland.

Sounds like you have a solid plan - that's a big part of a great engine build. ::thumb::

Can't wait to see it all come together. :D

What Eric did with the conversion kit is fine if you plan on staying around stock to mildly built. if you plan on putting in any kind of healthy cam you definitely want to have the pedestals machined and drilled for larger screw in studs. The factory holes are only 5/16". The conversion kits use a stud with 5/16" threads on the bottom and 7/16" threads on top for most aftermarket roller rockers. Like I said, that's fine for a stock build, but once you start into bigger cams you run the risk of pulling those 5/16" thread right out of the heads. I would have the heads machined and drilled for the 7/16" studs, run roller rockers and definitely pushrod guide plates for any build. That way your ready for just about anything. Especially if the heads are already being built at the machine shop. He's a pic of a set of heads that I sold THEJ , fresh from the machine shop. You can see what they look like with the pedestal machined for 7/16" screw in studs. Also a pic of the conversion kit so you can see the difference in thread size. For a stock to mild build they would be fine, but for anything else I would upgrade.

Good luck!

10mt1qq.jpg

330ff2q.png

1zfy29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My build is going to be pretty mild, as I just don't have the money right now for anything better. I plan on doing a better build with 4v CC heads, and a 4 bolt block as money allows. Right now I just need to get something together that will be decent to drive.

I have used the crane cams screw in studs with guide plates and had Zero problems with the setup. Remember you must use a hardened pushrod when using guide plates.

Back