Quick Question about a Secondary Ground Using a new Battery Wiring Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1974 Audi Coupe' S (fastback coupe)
1982 Audi Coupe
When starting the car (1973 Mach I, 351, no AC) last fall, the small, secondary ground wire that runs from the negative battery post to the grounded body (where the starter solenoid is mounted) melted. I figured the primary ground must be a bad contact at the block due to corrosion, so I connected a jumper cable directly between the battery ground and the block and it started right up and got me home.

I have since bought this kit from CJ PP: https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-clas...-air-conditioning-351ho-351-1972-1973/p/BC14/

I am installing it, but rather than a smaller secondary ground wire, there is a metal tab about halfway down the main ground cable. It makes sense to me that that gets grounded (to the body?) and does the job of the smaller secondary on my old (aftermarket) ground cable that melted. Is this correct?

I cleaned up the connection point at the block, along with the two points of contact where the solenoid mounts to the body. Should I connect the tab on the main ground cable to that spot?

I feel like I am overthinking this, but when I replaced the cables last year, it was just because the old ones were cruddy and brittle. The new ones were cheapie generic auto parts store variety, but I think the issue was a bad contact at the block, and the thin, cheapie secondary ground wire just wasn't thick enough (and melted).

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to getting her our for the first ride of the season.

Last edited:
The tab gets screwed to the apron under the lower fastener for the voltage regulator. Ensure that this connection is completely secure. I highly recommend that you use a nut and bolt with star washers to ensure minimal resistance.

The metal tab connects to the screw at the bottom corner of the voltage regulator as does the radio suppression choke. That connection is a chassis ground.

Back