radio installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
HI have been in the wire diagram section but cant find radio color codes what are the wires can someone please tell me instead of referring me to the diagram s. I need to know which wires are the power wire,ground normally black,the dash light wire for radio, front speaker, my car originally came with only the front speaker so i am installing a whole pioneer system, cd,mp3, player with 2 6 x9 in the package tray and two 6 inch speakers in the kick panels.my wife got theses for me for christmas and i finally have a day off. When i got the car there was no radio and the pigtail is hidden up in the dash some where.

On this attachment is the complete wiring diagram. It is in SEARCHABLE PDF format. Search for RADIO and you will find what you are looking for. Couldn't b any easier.

The radio is powered via 2 wires: Light Blue with a red stripe, and white with a pink stripe. These two wires come together in a rubber connector

If you review the diagram further, you will see all of the other items connected to the radio. As a result, if your radio has any real power needs, you should consider wiring it directly to the battery with a relay to turn it off when the ignition key is off.

1973_FordMustang_ServiceManual_ElectricalDiagram_17x32_OCR.pdf

Attachments

• 1973_FordMustang_ServiceManual_ElectricalDiagram_17x32_OCR.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Blue with red tracer is the radio light. It powers on with the headlights.
You're right!!! Very sharp. I keep forgetting about that.

Some aftermarket radios can dim if they detect the headlights are on by monitoring that wire.

Connector C-501 is the ticket. 2 Pin plug- 1 for power and 1 for dimming. 2 males to 2 females. The larger pin/socket is for accessory power. 1 wire light blue with red. The second white with pink.

Do not know if it is the same for 71 as 73. The plug is pretty short, so it should be very close to the radio location.

You should be able to easily VOM it to check.

Back