Ram Air Actuator Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

84venom

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Trying to find info on the procedure to remove and replace the vacuum actuator. Does the entire plenum assembly have to come apart? Any info appreciated from someone who has done this!

There are a couple pretty detailed threads about new vacuum motors and their replacement, have you tried searching?
Yes. Found a lot of info on sources for the actuator but nothing on actually removing it. Trying to figure out how to get the actuator rod out of the air intake flap...

There is a lock ring at the end if each S rods (the axis pivoting the flaps)
And like 5 or 6 small nuts per duct to remove them.
as the vacuum actuators are originally riveted, you might need to separate the 2 pieces of plastic to open. To open them you only need to pry the staples open. Then you can access and cut the rivets from the other side. You can do it without removing but you won’t be able to rivet the new ones back as you need to hit hard unless you go for popup rivets.
May you open them, it’s a good time to restore the rusty rod and flaps…
I’ve restored mine and documented the process a year ago on my thread if you want to see.

as the vacuum actuators are originally riveted, you might need to separate the 2 pieces of plastic to open. To open them you only need to pry the staples open. Then you can access and cut the rivets from the other side. You can do it without removing but you won’t be able to rivet the new ones back as you need to hit hard unless you go for popup rivets.
I’ve restored mine and documented the process a year ago on my thread if you want to see.
Thank you. This is exactly the info I need. Would love to see your process!

PM sent

Back