ram air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi, someone once told me that the 351 CJ's didn't come with ram air option. Does anyone have any info on this or is it BS thanks
Nope it's true...on the 73's you could only get Ram Air with the 351 2V cars, not on the 4V CJ's. On the 72's you get Ram Air on both the 2V and 4V initially in the year but part way through the model year it was only available on 351 2V cars. Had to do with tougher noise/emission laws.

hi, someone once told me that the 351 CJ's didn't come with ram air option. Does anyone have any info on this or is it BS thanks
Nope it's true...on the 73's you could only get Ram Air with the 351 2V cars, not on the 4V CJ's. On the 72's you get Ram Air on both the 2V and 4V initially in the year but part way through the model year it was only available on 351 2V cars. Had to do with tougher noise/emission laws.
so early 72's CJ had them?

+1

Everything is there if you want to add it though some modifications may be required. I was told that the EGR plate under the carburetor raised everything too high to clear the hood and also Ford did not do the required testing to meet emissions for the 4V. I haven't seen any concrete documentation on any of this though.

Last edited by a moderator:
All true. The lack of emission certification on the 351 4-V was the culprit. I firmly believe that is why Ford developed the exterior "decor pkg", so dealers could add the parts and end up with a literal clone of an OEM system for customers.

Kind of an "end run" around regulations for Ford.

Pontiac did some stuff like that on the early SD 455 engines. ( a very sweet motor...gives a 429 CJ a good run for the money)

The commonly told story is that every air cleaner configuration required a seperate test. Ford did not think the sales potential of the ram-air option warranted the expense of another test, and subsequently tried to "sneak" the option in on the non ram-air version of the engine. When they got caught, it was just dedided not to offer it as a factory option anymore, considering the dismal sales of the whole line.

Back