Ram air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the vacuum lines and all the is needed from the plenum to the manifold  I installing it on an engine that didn't have it to begin I got a sheet that shows I need a "choke line?"and a "Metal sensor"a "solenod" I don't know were to start I got a kit from C J,,, well here's a pic of my engine and the sheet I got Man I don't know were to begin ,,Does any one have a video? or some thing better

2010 sti 0 60

Wow - good luck.

I got nuthin'.  My flapper actuators are frozen open and my hoses are pretty much for decoration, since it's never too cold in West Texas for needing the choke.  I got "All Ram Air All The Time."

That diagram is based off the use of factory air cleaner, snorkel and carb (with provisions for TEMP SENSOR in the air cleaner!

IF you have a factory air cleaner W snorkel and a vacuum pot that works on the snorkel you would route that way on the sensor. Why don't you let us know "just what you are working with" for parts. EVERYTHING from the exhaust heat shield to the choke heater tube works in concert with that system! IF you don't have 50% of it you might no want to follow it.

Mark

well I bought a kit from CJ Pony Plenum and air cleaner ..so it looks like I would just have to connect the Flaps direct to the manifold ? some thing like that ..so I can leave out .. temp sensors and (choke,, not the one on the snorkel seems tobe a different choke) It says to run a direct line from snorkel to the manifold,,and Then should I run a direct line from the Flaps to manifold ? would this work?

well I bought a kit from CJ Pony Plenum and air cleaner ..so it looks like I would just have to connect the Flaps direct to the manifold ? some thing like that ..so I can leave out .. temp sensors and (choke,, not the one on the snorkel seems tobe a different choke) It says to run a direct line from snorkel to the manifold,,and Then should I run a direct line from the Flaps to manifold ? would this work?
Well If you use only manifold vacuum or snorkel and ram air you will be closing off the snorkel (off throttle).   I guess if you keep the snorkel open all the time......and use the small port that is left (capped) you could control the flaps!

LOOKS like this is a a PB, Auto,  AC car !!  That is a lot of systems relying on that one area of vacuum signal.   Hope the car is at 92% efficiency as I would hate to see "systems fail" as a result of a add on that isn't needed.   Is the distributor advance hooked up an working -off a carb signal?

well I bought a kit from CJ Pony Plenum and air cleaner ..so it looks like I would just have to connect the Flaps direct to the manifold ? some thing like that ..so I can leave out .. temp sensors and (choke,, not the one on the snorkel seems tobe a different choke) It says to run a direct line from snorkel to the manifold,,and Then should I run a direct line from the Flaps to manifold ? would this work? Yes it is an A/C car ill try it your way and see what happens

Well If you use only manifold vacuum or snorkel and ram air you will be closing off the snorkel (off throttle).   I guess if you keep the snorkel open all the time......and use the small port that is left (capped) you could control the flaps!

LOOKS like this is a a PB, Auto,  AC car !!  That is a lot of systems relying on that one area of vacuum signal.   Hope the car is at 92% efficiency as I would hate to see "systems fail" as a result of a add on that isn't needed.   Is the distributor advance hooked up an working -off a carb signal?   yes dis is working off carb signal and its a A/c car too ,,What do you mean "car is at 92% efficiency?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would simply plug the two actuators in line as in the image and then to the intake manifold vacuum outlet.

I have the same setup as you and that should do it.

The other staff in the air cleaner like the bi-metall-sensor is something temperature oriented you do not need necessarily when you car is mainly driven in summer or warm climatic temperatures.

LOOKS like this is a a PB, Auto,  AC car !!  That is a lot of systems relying on that one area of vacuum signal.   Hope the car is at 92% efficiency as I would hate to see "systems fail" as a result of a add on that isn't needed.   Is the distributor advance hooked up an working -off a carb signal?   yes dis is working off carb signal and its a A/c car too ,,What do you mean "car is at 92% efficiency?
The Bi-metal sensor is standard on all stock air cleaners (ram air or non-ram air). The choke vacuum line is not part of the ram air setup either. If you have stock carb then you should have it with or without ram air. Both of these vacuum lines are connected to the intake mani vacuum tree on the back of the mani and run to the air cleaner bi-metal valve and then to the actuator on the air cleaner snorkel. This line has a "T" connector inserted into the vacuum line before the Bi-metal valve for the carb choke line and another "T" before the valve and after the choke "T" line which runs up the hood to the RH ram air actuator, as shown in your diagram. There were two types of Bi-metal valves... the original rectangular and a round version. Both have a blue and red paint mark on them 

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bi-metal sensor is standard on all stock air cleaners (ram air or non-ram air). The choke vacuum line is not part of the ram air setup either. If you have stock carb then you should have it with or without ram air. Both of these vacuum lines are connected to the intake mani vacuum tree on the back of the mani and run to the air cleaner bi-metal valve and then to the actuator on the air cleaner snorkel. This line has a "T" connector inserted into the vacuum line before the Bi-metal valve for the carb choke line and another "T" before the valve and after the choke "T" line which runs up the hood to the RH ram air actuator, as shown in your diagram. There were two types of Bi-metal valves... the original rectangular and a round version. Both have a blue and red paint mark on them 

THANKS FOR THE INFO WELL NEEDED

Back