Rarities and Oddities

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a fellow last Friday evening at the local cruise in that told me that he used to have a 72 Mach 1 with the 351 HO. He said it was like mine except that it had air conditioning and automatic transmission. He insisted that He ordered it that way from the factory. I had a hard time believing that one. As far as I know air and automatic were not available with the HO.
I have been told similar stories about Boss 351's. People do get confused. I have looked at quite a few cars that ended up not being what they described to be.

If one has documentation to back up what they claim, I am more accepting or at least willing to consider the deviations. One that gets me every time is the Boss 351 with Mach 1 Hood paint scheme said to be that way from the factory - I think Bob Perkins had that car - ultra low miles. The differences are interesting for sure.

Ray

Wouldn't mind seeing your marti report if you can post it...Jeff8877's car has the most options i ever seen on any mustangs marti report..I like reading them..Specialy the rare ones...most are 1 of 1 cars anyways by that point..lol..Btw stangcoupe...We got the same amount of options ordered..lol...We both got 18 options on are reports ...Was just checking yours out..Vinyl top too...We need to had a 1 of 1 club hehehe..jk
Hey hyena429... I'm all for the 1 of 1 club... but I'm not really sure what the membership to that club would get us. Thanks to my Bride I have an elite marti report. My car came with lots of options but it doesn't look at all what it looked like coming out of the factory... thank God. It was triple green... I do love the AC, tilt steering wheel and power windows, a lot of people are really surprised that my car has so many "modern" options.

That is what I was told by the sales manager at the dealer. They told menu optionson those two things before thecar wasbuilt. It may have been BS...Who knows?

Ihave seen a few Marti reports that are wrong. I don't consider them an impeachable reference.

My car has the map light.

I ordered my car brand new with every option available at the time. It stickered at $5514.00

The factory would not install two RPO items I initially ordered: intermittent wipers and rear defrost.

Here was the explanation I got at the time:

The "hi output" alternator (65 amp I believe) could not handle the combination of A/C, power windows and defrost, so I had to kick one. I chose to dump the defroster.

I ordered the "hi-fidelity" am/.8-track radio which is pretty big behind the dash. I was told there was not enough room in the dash area for both the 8-track and the bulky control box for the intermittent wipers, so one had to go. I wanted "state of the art" music, so I dumped the wiper option. I have kicked myself over that for 40 years!
The wiper delay box sits pretty low and no where near the 8 track.

Maybe as it was an very early car they did want to chance having install proplems.

If you find the switch and box used it is the easiest option to add - just plug it in and ground it.

Easily removeable to put back to original too.

I have seen a few Marti reports that are wrong. I don't consider them an impeachable reference.
Marti reports come from Eminger Invoice..Ford Original Invoices...Now Fords records mite be a little off here and there..But i think they carry alot of weight...and hard to prove diffrent...Unless you worked for ford and know diff and put the part on you're self... Then Marti and the Eminger Invoice are all you got to prove what your car was ordered with.

Hell my car has a old alarm system and a J code on the warranty plate that i cannot figure out...Ford warranty something on my car that is lost in the records...Marti could not give me a anser....Some things are lost in the records and mite never be proven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another oddity is the back up lenses...some are clear and some are white frosted.
We had a thread going on this a while back. I believe the white frosted were not included on factory cars but showed up at some point the replacement assemblies.
The repro lenses with Ford logo and SAE stampings have clear lenses

NOS samples were used for production.

I think the " frosted " lenses are sun bleached lenses -

Don
Pics on post 25 (close up). The white lens is not sun bleached.

My car had been rearended at some point and at least one lens was replaced. We know all three years came with clear. I still suspect the while lens were included as some of the factory replacements.

Back