Rear axle shift forward on right side.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Vert 351
As the title states, I noticed that the right wheel was closer to the fender wheel opening on the right (passenger) side than on the left (driver). I measured and there is a ~3/4" difference. Looks like the axle is shifted forward on the passenger side somehow, because the left side looks perfectly centered. I did some searching to see how the axle spring plate attaches to the spring, and I see there is a hole in the center that fixes it in place. I am going to get under the car tonight and start getting some measurements to try to figure out where the issue is, so if anyone has an idea of what I should be looking for I would appreciate the input.

Attachments

• Axle Gap.jpg
    Axle Gap.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
It may be the car was in an accident in the past and the repairs weren't too precise. There is a bolt that holds the leaf spring together in the center. The axle and the spring plate index on this bolt. You'll want to make sure both springs are on this by looking in the hole on the bottom of the spring plate. Next, you can measure from either the front or rear eye to the spring plate and compare the left and right sides to see if they're the same. If everything appears as it should you may need to take it by a body shop with at frame rack.

It may be that in the past, some less competent person bolted the axle in without making sure the spring bolts were properly located in the plate locate holes. If that is the case, I'd want to replace the U bolts as well due to the pressure applied to the fine threads. Other than that, as Chuck said.

The leaf spring has a bolt running through the leaves to pull them all together and locate them all relative to a single point. The head of that bolt nests in a hole in the spring perch on axle housing. When I pulled the housing a couple years ago (for some trunk panel work), I found the locating hole was elongated and the material on one edge had been deformed and pushed towards the axle. I had done a lot of drag racing back in the 80's and figure it was related to to that. I welded up the hole...haven't had it back apart to inspect, but I don't expect any problem.

In my travels, it's been more common to see the leaf spring bolt or pin bent, rusted, worn, broken, etc. That's where I'd start looking.

Thanks guys. I went under the car last night to take a look and both plates are sitting on the spring bolt correctly. I also measured from the bolt to the back of the spring to the center line of the shackle and both measurements are identical. This weekend I will put the car on the lift and take more measurements to see what’s what. I am also taking it back to the shop that did the alignment because there is no way in hell that thing is tracking straight. Will report findings.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
So I visited the alignment shop, owner said it is not uncommon for the bolt that hold the spring leafs together to break and that can cause the axle to shift. And it would seem like the bolt is in place but it is not really. So this weekend I will loosen the U bolts holding the axle to the springs and the plate to see if the leafs come apart, that will indicate if the bolt is broken. Stay tuned.

So I visited the alignment shop, owner said it is not uncommon for the bolt that hold the spring leafs together to break and that can cause the axle to shift. And it would seem like the bolt is in place but it is not really. So this weekend I will loosen the U bolts holding the axle to the springs and the plate to see if the leafs come apart, that will indicate if the bolt is broken. Stay tuned.
In addition, I suggest you raise the axle to gain some separation of the spring perch to the spring, so you can look directly at the head of the bolt and the hole in the spring perch. I think you can get away with only loosening the u-bolts on the right side and leaving the rest assembled.

I tried to explain it to the wife and she looked at me as if I was talking a different language. I gotta wait for the weekend to do it with a friend. 😂
Measure center cap to center cap front to back and check left to right.

What part of town are you in?

Back