Rear disc conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most interesting swap I saw was using the rear brakes from a Crown Vic cop car. It uses the small housing ends like our Mustangs have, just some minor trimming as I recall. I think the article was on another Mustang forum.

www.streetortrack.com

i did mine a few months ago and it was easy. uses original 94-04 cobra stuff.

Now... is it really a significant improovement from the factory drum brakes?

I hear all the time it is actually not... Mustangs as well as most of muscle cars dont really have a significant ammount of brake in the rear because of the weight distribution this cars actually has...

As you know, i´m not even close of a pro in mechanics so.. dont trust me!! jeje... But i see in here, a lot of guys who spend 3K in parts to make his mustang disc all over and then, i see the cars has more problems than pros in this South American made upgrade... jeje

Disc brakes are lighter than drums; they're easier to work on; and they cool better. For an average street car, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If you're going racing or do a lot of braking that tends to heat up the drums, it makes sense. So the real question to ask is what the goal is when considering changing over to rear discs.

Disc brakes are lighter than drums; they're easier to work on; and they cool better. For an average street car, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If you're going racing or do a lot of braking that tends to heat up the drums, it makes sense. So the real question to ask is what the goal is when considering changing over to rear discs.
:) great answer my friend!! i have sooo much to learn in this mechanic topics!!

In here, there are no trully race mustangs or really powerful muscle cars to trully need an upgrade like this and i´m positive, most guys do the conversion just to see a disc through the wheel

But the easy to work on and the modern tech in disk brakes makes the hole sence... Maybe the mantainance is easier too and with less parts to break in the system...

Thanks man!! :)

One other advantage is that Disc brakes are not self energizing. With Drum brakes in a panic situation they can lock up and not release until the car stops which happened to me last week. I ended up sideways across 2 lanes of traffic.

I just ordered the Right Stuff Detailing rear disk brake conversion kit from CJ Pony Parts. For $385, I couldn't pass it up.

Tnfsatbk, this for you since you worked with this kit. What else did you have to do to get this kit to fit and working? Change rear brake line? Do anything to the master cylinder? Add proportioning valve? I checked with their online instructions and they don't really touch on that stuff. Just wondering what else I need.

Thanks

scott

I just ordered the Right Stuff Detailing rear disk brake conversion kit from CJ Pony Parts. For $385, I couldn't pass it up.

Tnfsatbk, this for you since you worked with this kit. What else did you have to do to get this kit to fit and working? Change rear brake line? Do anything to the master cylinder? Add proportioning valve? I checked with their online instructions and they don't really touch on that stuff. Just wondering what else I need.

Thanks

scott
There was some work to connect the new hoses, but I put all new lines on mine so may have had some issues anyways. As for the master cylinder I went it a Wilwood for manual disc and used their proportioning vavle. The biggest issue I had was finding the cable to connect the emergency brakes. I finally had Lokar make what I needed(Proper length) Right stuff told me they could make it but it would be 3-4 months. If you have any question pm me and I will give you my number and I will do my best to help you out.

I'm looking at swapping an Explorer rear end with posi and disc brakes into my car. I'll never make enough power to break the 8.8 and it's alot more efficient than the 9". With my goal of building a good road car it makes sense since it uses less power. You can get 3.50 gears, a posi AND disc brakes all in one swap.

Hi all

Im thinking of doing the same thing

as Im im Australia Im a bit restricted with US cars

I did own a 96 UN Explorer Limited V6 a while back

so they are available at the wreckers here

but no Crown Victorias at all here

Ive been told that 80s Falcons rear will fit

maybe some OZ members will know that

but have to be modified as they have coil spring rears

any advice will help

Thanks John

I did the explorer swap and it has worked great. It's not just a bolt in though. I cut off the spring perches and welded new ones on. The width of the rear is almost exactly what my old 8 inch was. mine was out of a 05 explorer sport trac and had 373 gears with posi and discs. I have had that rear end in my car for close to 3 years with no trouble at all yet and I'm pushing 400 hp. If you have any more questions let me know. But overall great swapp and cheap for brakes gears and posi in one shot.

I did the explorer swap and it has worked great. It's not just a bolt in though. I cut off the spring perches and welded new ones on. The width of the rear is almost exactly what my old 8 inch was. mine was out of a 05 explorer sport trac and had 373 gears with posi and discs. I have had that rear end in my car for close to 3 years with no trouble at all yet and I'm pushing 400 hp. If you have any more questions let me know. But overall great swapp and cheap for brakes gears and posi in one shot.
I learned something new...didn't know the Explorer rear fit so well.

Back