Rear Drum Brake Job Advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
Let me start by admitting I despise drum brakes.  How can anything as important as stopping a 3000 pound car be so complicated with so many little parts???

I decided to face my demons and do a complete rear drum brake job on my 73 rag after finding a blown out wheel cylinder.  I purchased all new springs, pins, hardware, clips, retainers, adjusters, wheel cylinders, took pictures and then disassembled only one side (Passengers side rear).

2 pieces that appear missing with rather generic looking chinese hardware kit is the Parking Brake Link Spring and the little clip that slides over the one end of the Parking Brake Lever to Drum Brake Shoe Link.

I was able to save the clip and I'm hoping there is only 1 needed.

Another thing is that the retainer springs/clips that hold the shoes to the backing plate seam really weak and barely holding the shoes in place (other that connect the e-brake spring to the brake lever this all I've done)

I'm starting to think the cheap chinese ebay hardware kit was the wrong choice.

Are there any good video tutorials on assembling rear drum brake systems?

Thanks for the read, Chet

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me start by admitting I despise drum brakes.  How can anything as important as stopping a 3000 pound car be so complicated with so many little parts???

I decided to face my deamons and do a complete rear drum brake job on my 73 rag after finding a blown out wheel cylinder.  I purchased all new springs, pins, hardware, clips, retainers, adjusters, wheel cylinders, took pictures and then disassembled only one side (Passengers side rear).

2 pieces that appear missing with rather generic looking chinese hardware kit is the Parking Brake Link Spring and the little clip that slides over the one end of the Parking Brake Lever to Drum Brake Shoe Link.

Another thing is that the retainer springs/clips that hold the shoes to the backing plate seam really weak and barely holding the shoes in place (other that connect the e-brake spring to the brake lever this all I've done)

This picture really helped me when I did mine...good luck!

I decided to face my deamons and do a complete rear drum brake job on my 73 rag after finding a blown out wheel cylinder.  I purchased all new springs, pins, hardware, clips, retainers, adjusters, wheel cylinders, took pictures and then disassembled only one side (Passengers side rear).

Hello red73mustang,

They are part of a system that includes the disc brakes. The disc brakes do take most of the energy when braking the big 3000 lb. beast!

mustang7173   :bravo:

The parking brake spring is typically not a part of the hardware kit.

The hold down springs are just designed to hold the shoes in place until the drums are on, they are not supposed to have a lot of pressure. If they had a lot of pressure they would quickly wear out the shoe rubbing pads on the backing plates, as well as restricting the retraction of the shoes.

No matter how much you despise them drum brakes worked very well for over a hundred years, and still do. Drum brakes are still used to stop 78,000 pound loads on 18-wheelers, let alone little 3,000 pound cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
The parking brake spring is typically not a part of the hardware kit.

The hold down springs are just designed to hold the shoes in place until the drums are on, they are not supposed to have a lot of pressure. If they had a lot of pressure they would quickly wear out the shoe rubbing pads on the backing plates, as well as restricting the retraction of the shoes.

No matter how much you despise them drum brakes worked very well for over a hundred years, and still do. Drum brakes are still used to stop 78,000 pound loads on 18-wheelers, let alone little 3,000 pound cars.
Thanks Don for the info on the hold down springs.  Should they have the spring cups on both the outside and inside (touching the metal frame of the shoe?)

Just one per spring, the hold down spring touches the shoe.
Thanks guys for all the help Just one more thing before I go curl up into the fetal position...................The Automatic Adjuster Spring(Blue) that came with my hardware kit has a hook on it that differs from the original one.  Can anyone recommend a brand of hardware kit or a vendor that has the correct springs?

Chet

Starting to get more confused. The car was an 73 original 250 I6 Convertible. The rear drums that just came off of it were 10 inch drums with 2 inch wide shoes. The Shoes I purchased are 1'3/4 in wide. The parking brake springs (Blue) that came off the original 2 inch wide shoes still looks slightly different than what I got with my hardware kits

Did I get the wrong shoes, wrong springs of both? What size rear drum brakes did the 73 6 cylinder cars come with ?

Thanks, Chet

I think there might be 3 different rear shoes. If your 6 was ordered with hd suspension it upgraded brakes i think. I know on a Maverick if you go hd suspension it changed brakes to same as V-8.

I have V-8 cars and they have different sizes also. Both H code Both auto but different width. You need to always take your old ones with you when you get parts to compare to the new. Never trade in your core until you are positive you got the right parts.

I think there might be 3 different rear shoes. If your 6 was ordered with hd suspension it upgraded brakes i think. I know on a Maverick if you go hd suspension it changed brakes to same as V-8.

I have V-8 cars and they have different sizes also. Both H code Both auto but different width. You need to always take your old ones with you when you get parts to compare to the new. Never trade in your core until you are positive you got the right parts.
Ended up re using the parking brake adjuster springs(Blue Ones) as none of the local parts stores had the correct one and neither did hardware kit I go on ebay.  Lets home nothing fails so I can get her back on the road

Back