rear end

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just get down and look under the rear of the car the back side of the housing on an 8" is one continuous sphere. A 9" have a bump out to clear the gear.

The center section of about any Ford 9" will work. Ford started using the 9" in 1957. I found a 9" N case Nodular Iron, in a 1969 Ford van. Works fine in our cars. There are different U joint sizes also.

Now you do have different axle bearing sizes in 9" and 28 or 31 spline axles. The housing from other cars will not work in ours you have to have correct width and correct spring mounts to fit.

You can get 35 spline 9" if you want a tough one.

I have a spare 9" located in North Carolina. Should be easy to find.

Go to a crusher yard get real cheap there if going to crusher and lots do.

If you just get down and look under the rear of the car the back side of the housing on an 8" is one continuous sphere. A 9" have a bump out to clear the gear.

The center section of about any Ford 9" will work. Ford started using the 9" in 1957. I found a 9" N case Nodular Iron, in a 1969 Ford van. Works fine in our cars. There are different U joint sizes also.

Now you do have different axle bearing sizes in 9" and 28 or 31 spline axles. The housing from other cars will not work in ours you have to have correct width and correct spring mounts to fit.

You can get 35 spline 9" if you want a tough one.

I have a spare 9" located in North Carolina. Should be easy to find.

Go to a crusher yard get real cheap there if going to crusher and lots do.
thanks for the info!

so as it turns out ,i do have a 9" rear end in my 73. thanks for the help !!!

Back