rear spoiler help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was installed wrong when I bought it....didn't know it was on wrong initiallly and re-installed it wrong again after the restoration and taking pics posted in my garage on here, but thanks to the members of this site it's now installed correctly :D

Well I found out the hard way last night that my car did not come from the factory with a rear spoiler and whoever installed it had no clue. It was installed backwards and flush with the end of the deck lid. When we attempted to just reverse it. it over hung the trunk by half the spoiler. So the deck lid id off to be welded up, re-drilled and repainted. Anyone have proper dimensions on the correct install.

****found some good info***** but want to verify it

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes) spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)

Rear Spoiler

The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation.

By the way, if you are adding a rear spoiler to your to a non spoiler decklid, you will need to change the torsion rods, otherwise, the extra weight of the spoiler will keep your decklid from staying propped open when the trunk is open.

There are two different torsion rods (aka springs) for the Mustang SportsRoof. The ones without spoiler are (D1ZZ-6344890-A and D1ZZ-6344891-A). The for use with a spoiler are (D1ZZ-66344890-B and D1ZZ-6344891-B).

Rear Spoiler Installation Location

If you want to install a rear spoiler on your 71 Mustang decklid, below are measurements taken on a decklid with a factory spoiler installation. Measurements of the location of the factory holes are shown in the photo at left and center left. The holes are centered 6 1/4" inboard of the decklid side edge on both sides. The fore & aft dimensions are as shown below and apply to mounting pedestals on both sides.

Pictures of hole locations on underside of Decklid

A note about the Correct Front/Rear Edge Orientation of the Spoiler

Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!
i'm a recent victim of that too. however if i reverse the spoiler the trunk won't stay open and hangs off the deck lid. i just said forget it and left it backwards. i mean, only US will know.

I just measured my '73 and it's different. I will say that when I looked at the car, I thought the spoiler was further to the rear than my old '72 was. I measure 33 1/8 inch, center to center on the pedastals, 10" from the front edge of the trunk to the front edge of the spoiler pedastal and 6 1/2" from the edge to the center of the pedastal. I wondered at the time if the spoiler was placed further back in '73 to visually match the bumper change, or if the spoiler was added. I guess I better get around to ordering a Marti on it. I have one for my other Mustangs.

Steve

I just measured my '73 and it's different. I will say that when I looked at the car, I thought the spoiler was further to the rear than my old '72 was. I measure 33 1/8 inch, center to center on the pedastals, 10" from the front edge of the trunk to the front edge of the spoiler pedastal and 6 1/2" from the edge to the center of the pedastal. I wondered at the time if the spoiler was placed further back in '73 to visually match the bumper change, or if the spoiler was added. I guess I better get around to ordering a Marti on it. I have one for my other Mustangs.

Steve
Hey Steve,I am out of town in California,I will be back to my shop on Wendsday. I will get the measurements from my car. It is factory installed. FYI, I have the deluxe Marti report on my car and it does not show it on there. I am still wondering if it was part of a package? That was a good point about the 73's setting further back because of the bumper. I have had it parked next to other 71-72s and never noticed any differance. Eddie

It would be interesting to see where other '73's have the spoiler. I'm going off a 20 year old memory of my '72, but when I remounted the spoiler after paint, it struck me as different. The spoiler might be part of a package. I have the hood paint and locks, so maybe it was included in something.

Steve

It would be interesting to see where other '73's have the spoiler. I'm going off a 20 year old memory of my '72, but when I remounted the spoiler after paint, it struck me as different. The spoiler might be part of a package. I have the hood paint and locks, so maybe it was included in something.

Steve
+1 on the two tone hood and locks.

FastE,

In 73 if you wanted the rear spoiler it was a separate option and not included as any package. If not on the Marti, I would say it was not installed by the factory but may have been a "dealer installed option".

If anyone wants, I can measure my 73 for them.

Jeff

The repros now are

High end fiberglass

or composite with steel reinforcement

or plastic

429 mega site has all size / locations listed

Even though the fiberglass is almost 4 times the plastic, my guy said go for the fiberglass.

My body shop followed the info here on mounting and the trunk does stay open without having to change the rods....interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a pickle now... The alloy spoiler which I have doesn't have the indents for the pedestals like the fibreglass ones have. The pedestals I have were designed for indents. I've decided to get the grinder onto the pedestals since my spoiler isn't factory anyway... Live and learn.

I have a new aftermarket spoiler that I wish to mount on my 1971 Mustang Coupe, and I need to know the correct measurement from the top of the deck lid to the first mounting holes. I haven't been able to find these anywhere so far for the coupe. Anyone have any info? Thanks

I have a new aftermarket spoiler that I wish to mount on my 1971 Mustang Coupe, and I need to know the correct measurement from the top of the deck lid to the first mounting holes. I haven't been able to find these anywhere so far for the coupe. Anyone have any info? Thanks
The spoiler was not a factory item for the coupe

You will have to mock it up and put it where you like it.

You may need to make some longer studs to get through the inner trunk lid bracing

Don

I don't think there was ever a special package for the mustang that included the rear spoiler. I attached pics of my original 73 that I ordered new. I do not have a good side shot to see where it is located to the edge of the trunk. The spoiler was a $29.12 option. I think the best deal of all the options was the black out or argent hood that included the hood locks for $18.00. You could not get just the black out or just the locks they came together. So if you see a hood with the black out or argent and no hood locks you will know it did not come with it.

The Mach 1 package included Trim Rings W/Hub Caps, Dual Racing Mirrors, Competition Suspension, Color-Keyed Carpeting and All-Vinyl Bucket Seats. Anything else was a cost add on.

I could get some dimensions tomorrow if you still want another known original factory install.

I see cars every day on eBay with the spoiler backwards and it is usually the high dollar flipper companies that just make them shine and sell them not restore them.

I would not put it past Ford getting one on backwards. They put my horn button on upside down was delivered that way.

David

100_2241.JPG

100_2194.JPG

100_2225.JPG

DSC00107.JPG

Well I found out the hard way last night that my car did not come from the factory with a rear spoiler and whoever installed it had no clue. It was installed backwards and flush with the end of the deck lid. When we attempted to just reverse it. it over hung the trunk by half the spoiler. So the deck lid id off to be welded up, re-drilled and repainted. Anyone have proper dimensions on the correct install.

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes)     spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)    

Rear Spoiler

The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation.

By the way, if you are adding a rear spoiler to your to a non spoiler decklid, you will need to change the torsion rods, otherwise, the extra weight of the spoiler will keep your decklid from staying propped open when the trunk is open.

There are two different torsion rods (aka springs) for the Mustang SportsRoof. The ones without spoiler are (D1ZZ-6344890-A and D1ZZ-6344891-A). The for use with a spoiler are (D1ZZ-66344890-B and D1ZZ-6344891-B).

If you want to install a rear spoiler on your 71 Mustang decklid, below are measurements taken on a decklid with a factory spoiler installation. Measurements of the location of the factory holes are shown in the photo at left and center left. The holes are centered 6 1/4" inboard of the decklid side edge on both sides. The fore & aft dimensions are as shown below and apply to mounting pedestals on both sides.

Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes)     spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)    

Rear Spoiler

There is a difference in the stud distance between 69/70 and 71/73 spoilers. You may have a 69/ 70 spoiler Off the top of my head it is around 33 1/4 VS 35 1/2

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where to find the torsion rods for the spoilered trunk lid?

- D1ZZ-66344890-B

- D1ZZ-6344891-B

Getting guillotined by the trunk lid is getting old :)

Back