Rear sway bar install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73mach429

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 429 powered Mustang
1994 IDI Turbo F-250
2010 6.4 Powerstroke F-350
2010 RZR S (does this count?) lol
I just ordered an addco 7/8 heavier rear sway bar to replace the tiny factory piece, part #990 01. Just wondering if anyone has done this on a 71 to 73 fastback? I have the 1 1/8 front installed already and am hoping for a decent cornering ride when I finally finish it lol.

Well, if your car was originally equipped with a competition suspension and your just upgrading the hardware to a thicker bar, then ignore this.

If your car did not have a rear sway bar from the factory and your adding one now then the addco rear sway bar kit is terrible in my opinion, I had major issues with fitment and clearance.

Under full suspension compression the sway bar hardware can damage the main fuel line.

I ended up taking mine off and throwing it in a box.

Otherwise I saw the biggest change by just using a thicker front bar.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was on the fence for ordering the adjustable 3/4 inch addco for like $135 bucks but one of my spare cars had the competition suspension in it and I decided to put the 5 leaf packs with the sway bar brackets in my car and I ordered the 7/8 replacement for the factory sway bar. This should be the best way to not interfere with my exhaust when I install it and less problems than you were having hopefully. Thanks

What I hate is they don't offer a correct rear sway bar conversion kit for non-competition suspension cars.

The competition suspension rear sway bar is the perfect shape compared to the terrible retrofit adco bar.

I agree with 72 H Code on the non-OEM style bar. The replacement bar should work great with the 1 1/8 front bar. There is an article on the 429 Mustang and Cougar Megasite that shows the installation.

Chuck

Back