rear window foam tape

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargis1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
351 clevland
Getting ready to install the rear window and i seen in the how to forum to use window foam tape. anyone know what its called and where to get it?

i think your talking about butyle tape,you can get it online or home depot sells it, i hope thats what you need good luck.

its a closed cell foam tape, Hemikiller on this website was the go to guy to get a roll of it. it is very different from home depot weather tape, the glue was very strong on it.

unfortunatly Hemikiller went MIA last year, i do not know where he was able to order it from, it was a 1" by 1/2" foam tape if i remember.

everyone forgets the rubber gasket is for the glass but under the gasket on the window lip you must install the foam tape the gasket pretty much seals nothing without the foam underneath.

I have always used liquid butyl sealer (C5AZ-19554-A equivalent) sparingly, where the rubber gasket meets the metal lip. I guess I can learn something everyday, if I'm paying attention. Chuck

maybe thats why my back window leaks so bad!!!!:huh: The guy that painted the car for me probably didnt put the tape under the rubber. Its leaked ever since i got it painted. Never messed with it cause it rarely gets wet. Maybe that will be a little project for this winter. Good info guys!! i always thought it was just a rubber seal!!

everyone forgets the rubber gasket is for the glass but under the gasket on the window lip you must install the foam tape the gasket pretty much seals nothing without the foam underneath.
100% Correct..I have the factory drawings showing the correct way to install..will post up when I get back home.

100% Correct..I have the factory drawings showing the correct way to install..will post up when I get back home.
I'll be looking for that drawing, Scott! How long will you be in Colorado? Are you flying out of Denver or Grand Junction? Or...driving?

I'll be looking for that drawing, Scott! How long will you be in Colorado? Are you flying out of Denver or Grand Junction? Or...driving?
S,,flew into Junction & will be flying out of junction too..Here till the 21st..Looking at homes in Montrose..I think the wife & I will head out to tulluride for a few days next week..Any chance you want to meet up ?

basically according to the manual you start from the top center and work down the sides as one piece. the bottom of the window is not suppose to get the foam.

my guess is to allow any water that does get behind to drain out at the bottom.

so you lay the foam over the ledge of the window frame on the body, the tape is suppose to overlap the headliner and the sail panels that are also glued around the lip of the window frame. you may have to cut back the headliner and sail panel material, you want those to over lap about 1/4" around the frame.

the foam tape goes on top half on the painted metal and half over the sail and headliner material, its suppose to act as a seal to keep water from getting behind the window frame and into the headliner.

once the tape is down you install the window with the rubber seal, using the rope method and pushing down on the glass the rubber will wrap around and the foam tape compress, sealing the window rubber gasket around the metal painted window frame.

now you use sealer, pull back the rubber seal around the glass and lay a bead all the way around the sealer will squeeze out and you need to clean it up with lacquer thinner. next you fill up the window channel between the rubber seal and the window frame. Put it on like cake icing. use a Popsicle stick and jam that horrible goop down into the window channel.

i hope you remembered to install all the trim clips before you even set the foam tape, if you didn't god be with you.

ok so now you install the metal trim, cursing as you bend it trying to install it.

let it dry for a week, then hose test it, good chance it will still be leaking inside the car. curse some more never speak of it again...

here is my Wiki write up on it

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-install-a-rear-window-on-a-71-73-fastback

S,,flew into Junction & will be flying out of junction too..Here till the 21st..Looking at homes in Montrose..I think the wife & I will head out to tulluride for a few days next week..Any chance you want to meet up ?
Oh man, I wish I'd known! I was just in Glenwood Springs on Wednesday but now I'm back in Colorado Springs. Grand Junction is about a 4 1/2 hour drive for me so it would be difficult to meet up...work has been a bear lately so it will be really tough for me to get up into the mountains. I have some service contracts up in that area though, so when you move out here we'll probably have a lot of opportunities to meet. What's the timeframe for moving?

i hope you remembered to install all the trim clips before you even set the foam tape, if you didn't god be with you.

ok so now you install the metal trim, cursing as you bend it trying to install it.

let it dry for a week, then hose test it, good chance it will still be leaking inside the car. curse some more never speak of it again...
This is going to be so much fun, I can't wait to do this!!! :mad:

Thanks for that wiki!

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part of the entire thing is the sealer that stuff is so messy it defies laws of physics.

Latest posts

Back