Rebuilt Engine First Start & Cam Break-in

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good one, I was wondering about that also. It's running the stock carb (2100D) Is there a vent on it or another place that fuel could be added to the bowl? (I don't see one) or would I have to pull the top to put fuel in the bowl?
Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure on a 2V.

Below is the 2V 351C that was in my 72, are the things I'm pointing to the bowl vents?

2V Carb Bowl Vents.JPG

[SIZE=12pt]Update….. So, I was literally on the last step of my overly detailed 30+ item check list when my goal of engine first start came to a halt. The last item on the list was to fill the radiator with distiller water. I was into the second gallon of water when I heard the unsettling gush of water running out of somewhere under the car and saw the growing puddle of water forming. My first check was to the radiator itself and hoses, both dry. A quick ear check to try and pinpoint the location of the small gusher lead to the rear drivers side of the engine. –What??  [/SIZE]There shouldn't be anything making THAT sound in that location….Luckily my son was helping me with the first start task since we have been working on it on/off together from the beginning. I elected to send him under the car to investigate (age has its privileges). His report back was “there’s a hole in the side of the block that water is running out of” After some further clarification and a trip under the car myself the obstacle that was going to prevent us from doing our first a start was a missing block drain plug. But, not just one. Upon further investigation the passenger side plug was also missing. It appears the engine rebuilder forgot to reinstall then. And, after several year of it sitting waiting to be installed and started I didn't check….What I was hoping would be just a quick trip to the auto parts store for drain plugs got a little more complicated by finding that the passenger side drain plug threads are stripped. So we pushed the car back in the garage and will have to do some drilling and tapping before we get to see if the engine will live….My back is not happy so will have to see how quickly that gets done. I wonder if my son is busy next week…. Hopefully better news on the next update.

Well, that sucks. If the rebuilder was that negligent, one, to strip the threads, and two, not to fix it before taking your money, I would be concerned about what else they might have overlooked, especially inside the oil pan.

Re-affirms why I do my own rebuilds. Even back when I knew a couple of guys that I would have trusted I did my own.

Back