Remanufactured 302?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
I pulled a 302 engine out of ny parts car as according to the paperwork that came with the car it was installed less than 10,000 miles ago. It seems like a no brainer as the current engine has 150K on it or more.

I wanted to do a little research on what I am putting in however, there seems to be very little info to be had.

I was hoping some Ford savant on here could give me a clue as to what this engine is. I couldn’t find a casting number anywhere, but there was a tag on it that reads as follows:

Remanufactured for Ford Motor Company

Part NO:
D50Z6V012ARM
LGB 154 M
02/27/2002

I am attaching a picture of the tag, but it was really hard to get a good focus on the shallow stamping.

If anyone can tell me what this is I would be grateful. I am assuming it’s just a bone stock 302. Just curious

Thanks!

Ron

Attachments

• E30B932B-83AC-47BA-8AB5-C684452F8664.jpeg
    E30B932B-83AC-47BA-8AB5-C684452F8664.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks for that. It may be that I just need to break it down a little and check out what parts were used to build it up. I was most interested in compression ratio, cam profile etc. I should be able to figure out the heads if they have casting #’s I plan on doing a gasket/seal refresh anyway so maybe I can glean a little info while doing that.

Ron

Hello Ron,
I have close to what Hemikiller noted; I have a "Sorta" library. The powertrain re-man catalog is one I haven't used in years and was in a storage building full of many old boxes full of books, catalogs, junk, and old parts I can't make myself throw away. You know, the "I may need these one-day" type of things. This catalog is the same as was used on our shop counter, so it has accurate information.

D5OZ-6V012-ARM is the Ford part number all franchised Ford and L/M Dealers would sell by.
LGB-154-RM is the Motorcraft parts number used by the aftermarket, Garage/repair shops, and other parts outlets since it was not legal for a non-franchised source to sell by the Ford corporate part number.
02/27/02, Exact Engine build day.
Serial # Used to identify engine for registration and warranty purposes.

The 2002 catalog indicates fitment of the D5OZ-ARM for '75-76 Ford Granada, Maverick, Mustang, Mercury Comet, and Monarch. There were two earlier 302's listed, C8AZ-C, replaced by DOZZ-H for '68-74 applications but are discontinued. The D5OZ-ARM was not listed as a replacement, but I know we continued to use it for pre '75 applications, and it worked well. The '75/ D5OZ engine had hardened valve seats and heads with thermactor emission (T/E) tube port holes at each end of the heads. Valve seats were not a problem, and the head T/E port could be plugged with an insert Ford had originally released for the front of the engine where the alternator and other engine brackets were mounted. Odd, but the D5OZ is a '75 Torino part # but was not listed for the Torino as a replacement engine!?
The part number suffix on your engine years ago would have been AX. Ford took over the re-man program a few years back when the quality control and consistency of the rebuilt products from each of the different distributors/remanufactures were almost nonexistent. Ford now controls all levels of the re-man program and ships all product lines to the distributors.
These engines and all the other product lines are rebuilt with Ford OE parts. What you will find in these engines is very close to what it would be from the assembly plant. The closest to any performance engines in the system would have been the 5.0 HO for the Fox Mustangs.
As you already know, the term short block is a block with all rotating assembly included. An unsealed long block would be the same short block with heads. The sealed version (depending on engine family) would include most covers such as the front cover and water pump, valve covers, oil pan, filter, oil, etc. Almost a drop in like the diesel engines that we were used to seeing in that configuration. :)

Back