Removing fan (have questions)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I'm converting my G1 alternator to G3 and I'm removing the fan to install electric fans. My question is whats to new size belt I need to use and or is there some kind of Pulley kit that I should replace with? In a G3 thread I posted, people mentioned I could use my old belt for the alternator but the new one is wider where the old one. Looking for some suggestions here. Thanks

You can take a tape measure and wrap it around the full run of the pulleys with any adjustments at the minimum setting and it will give you a very good starting point for the belt length. If you have an old belt, you can use it to determine if it is the right width for the pulleys or not. The bottom part of the v belt should not touch the pulley, rather it should ride on the sides of the belt and the top should be ideally flush with the pulleys or just the littlest bit proud.

If your old pulley doesn't fit, you can in fact run the wider pulley IF the belt does not bottom out in it.

Quick question, I have the temp sensor for my new gauges to install. I guessing the location is the spot just above the thermostat? I also have a temp switch for my fans. Should I be using two different locations for these or can I use the temp switch from my fans for both my fans and gauge at the same time? Also, I was looking at other peoples engine bay pictures that have the fan removed and it looks like they are still using a pulley in place of or still off to the side. Is this necessary or just a looks thing? Can I just measure and get the length needed belt to complete the pulley connection? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fan sits on the water pump pulley. If you remove it you won't have water circulating.

Water temp gauge sending unit is located near the thermostat housing. I'm not sure if your sending unit would work for both purposes. On my electric fans I use a probe style unit in the fins of the radiator to control the fans similar to this one http://www.cjponyparts.com/flex-a-lite-replacement-ss-adj-thermostat/p/RTFLEX/?gclid=CjwKEAjwmdu5BRCg1O3a-tDY0AQSJACKPgRK8eyoLiSRfNPQCF2LCU1uhRbiJqMO6-IUuvD1ejbcBRoC_NLw_wcB

Back