Removing rear quarter window glass and surrounds

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
hi all, in order to move forward on my the interior restoration i need to wirebrush roof to remove the rust.. I'd like to remove all glass and interior trim to avoid any damage plus when I get to the respray these all need to be taken off.

Can someone advise if there are any step by step instructions on how to remove the rear quarter glass and the surrounding trim, drip rail, door frame edge rubber, the interior panels below window glass that are bolted in. I know there's a few asks here, I'll post some pics when I've removed everything. thanks.

hi all, in order to move forward on my the interior restoration i need to wirebrush roof to remove the rust.. I'd like to remove all glass and interior trim to avoid any damage plus when I get to the respray these all need to be taken off.

Can someone advise if there are any step by step instructions on how to remove the rear quarter glass and the surrounding trim, drip rail, door frame edge rubber, the interior panels below window glass that are bolted in. I know there's a few asks here, I'll post some pics when I've removed everything. thanks.
I've been looking at this myself -- because I'd like to replace the rubber weatherstrip for the top of doors and quarter window. 

I have found some Youtube video's that make it look complicated... lots of fiddly parts have to come off and looks like something that could have been made easy has been designed to be a real annoying job 

Mine doesn't even have the winder/regulator - it's just fixed.  The closest I could find was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAiCKozgCg&t=139s 

:chin:

It's not that hard really. Start by pulling out the back seat bottom (grab the lower front and lift up, might be a couple screws below the front or I am getting my cars mixed up). Then there are a couple bolts down low holding the rear seat back in place. Once you have the seat out, the interior rear quarter panels and trim will make sense. Once those are out, you should have no problem getting the quarter glass out. I'll let someone else point the direction on the roof trim and seals.

I just took my Mach 1 completely apart cleaned and put back together. All the interior out and took the roof rails off cleaned and sealed and put new Daniel Carpenter seals in.

You should be able to look at on my thread for the detailing. I ordered the seals from NPD just be sure they are Carpenter seals. I did not even glue them the snapped right into the roof rail and fit perfect. You do have to adjust your window stops with the new rubber so the doors shut properly.

The rear windows should be pretty straight forward. Mine were PW so they rolled down.

All the interior trim comes off easily just screws. Use a long pick to locate the screw holes when going back.

My car was not rusty in the roof rail but most will be. If you put a phillips screw driver in the screws and give a couple sharp blows with hammer will break the rust bond. Put penetrating oil on also.

They leaked when brand new due to the large rectangle holes they put in to locate the toy tabs on the roof rail at assembly. I used the 3-M strip caulk to seal it up NEVER use the foam tape that was just to make it easy and fast on the assembly line not the best solution.

You can strip the anodize off the roof rail and polish while out. Some of the front section is stainless so no anodize. You will have to get anodize replaced or spray with clear to protect it.

When you get the rust off inside the top it is way better to brush on the rust protection no mater what type you use. It is very dangerous to spray POR due to the way the material reacts to moisture. If you breathe the over spray it hardens instantly in your lungs on contact with moisture and you will not recover. Brush can get into places spray cannot.

I will post this then go get the link to my detail job.

Link to all info and pics.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-have-started-the-long-job-of-cleaning-the-73-mach-1

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks David, i was erring on side of caution by asking, a constant theme of mine is fear of damaging any original parts so I like to see from anyone's previous experience what they did.

ok so i had already removed the rear seats, quarter panel trim etc. First thing i did was to remove the 3 bolts holding glass panel to the sub-frame support panel.

I then carefully pulled the glass outwards as you can see from above pics. I then removed the 3 bolts of the supporting frame panel and then the 2 bolts the base panel that bolts into it. Pics of parts below. Fabrice, I am going to have to read some of your posts about derusting, cleaning and replating these panels.

I then removed the door edge rubber weatherstrip and unscrewed the metal trim clip, where i ended my day's work as a couple of the screws were not moving and i had to borrow back one of my tools before i can remove and then move onto drop rail. Did this both sides so nearly done on the removal of the trim.

Latest posts

Back