Removing wheel lip trim/moulding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am debating removing the wheel lip trim. I kind of like the look without them plus I could also roll the fender lips to gain about 1/4" track with on each side. This is one of my plans to improve my AutoX times. This trim also seems like an area where rust will love to grow!

I want to hear from those of you that have removed this trim since I am concerned that the trim may have left some marks on the paint that would look bad once removed. Whatever I do, I need to remove the trim from the rear driver side to inspect an area where the paint has bubbles. I want to make sure that if this is rust I can fix it early enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts: If they were installed when the paint was fresh or your paint is soft (old enamel) they may leave some marks.  If they were put on later, once the paint was hardened, you can probably polish out any marks left.  Be careful on the inside lip that you don't pull the paint off with the trim.  Touch up the paint around the screw holes to prevent rust.

My car didn't have them originally when I purchased it, I got a set over the counter and put them on, drove it that way for 25 years, and when I had the car repainted, I had the holes welded up.  I still have an NOS set that may find its way on the car, but I'm thinking probably not. 

Circling back to this post. I removed the trim from the rear fender wheel lips. There were some faint lines left after I polished the area with scratch remover that you can see with a flashlight but they don't bother me. I will do a second round to see if it gets better. However, I found a hidden gremlin on the passenger side. I was suspicious of something going on there because I saw a couple of bubbles but this is worse than what I expected :classic_angry: . Now to remove the paint, repair and see how to blend it so it doesn't look terrible. I will probably have the same shop that is working on my trunk lid to paint the repair.

PS: BTW, I am liking how it looks without the trim

20211209_225837.jpg

Circling back to this post. I removed the trim from the rear fender wheel lips. There were some faint lines left after I polished the area with scratch remover that you can see with a flashlight but they don't bother me. I will do a second round to see if it gets better. However, I found a hidden gremlin on the passenger side. I was suspicious of something going on there because I saw a couple of bubbles but this is worse than what I expected :classic_angry: . Now to remove the paint, repair and see how to blend it so it doesn't look terrible. I will probably have the same shop that is working on my trunk lid to paint the repair.

View attachment 56902
I'm mixed when it comes to the trim.  I like my car without it but have seen others that I think it looks good on.    Glad to see you caught that bad area before it got too bad.   Hopefully it's more just surface than deep.  

I'm mixed when it comes to the trim.  I like my car without it but have seen others that I think it looks good on.    Glad to see you caught that bad area before it got too bad.   Hopefully it's more just surface than deep.  
BTW, someone tried to perform a very bad repair and hide it under the trim. Maybe that's why they added the trim. The trim is definitely not from factory.

It is weird how some combos look better with or without it. I’m glad I went with it with the tire and wheel combo I have but I wonder if I’d like it the same or say I had Magnum 500s

2FB632CC-54A0-42AC-855A-9531812671F2.png

View attachment 56902
Yeah that definitely looks like someone was trying to hide something!

It is weird how some combos look better with or without it. I’m glad I went with it with the tire and wheel combo I have but I wonder if I’d like it the same or say I had Magnum 500s

View attachment 56913
You could be right about the rims.   There's so many different combos on these cars when it comes to chrome from the wheel well trim, bumpers and front fender extensions plus the hood leading edge.  Some of it seems to compliment while other's combos take away from the cars look.    

Kinda confused on the direction this post went.  Originally it was stated he may want to roll the fenders.  Does that not crack the paint when you roll the wheel flares?

i am not an MCA judge, but I don’t think the Mach 1 or the Boss came factory with those.  Sportsroof, verts, Grande, Coupé could have had them, but I don’t think the striped cars did.

kcmash

With proper technique (and luck), you can roll fenders without damaging the paint. 

I am planning on rolling the front fenders only. I have ample space in the rear. I have read that the trick is to heat the paint up a little with a heat gun. Not being a show car I am not that concerned. I will post separately but I now have a bigger aesthetical problem in my hands since the rust spot is through the fender and it was all hidden under bondo. Luckily it appears localized to that area.

Back