Repainting engine and engine bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're using Duplicolor paint, use DARK Ford blue. Ford corporate or just ford blue are too light and bright. More like smurf blue.
if you look at my Picture I posted, the Air cleaner is the Ford "Dark" Blue, but the block was the Corporate Ford Blue,, its the Dupli-color paint.

I think you can even tell in my Signature picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted my engine compartment about 20 years ago. I went to a local paint store and told them what I was doing.

The key to this is prep and paint. You want to spend a lot of time making sure the surface is ready for paint. You want a really good quality primer and paint. Rattle can isn't going to cut it. It will look good for a while (mostly) but will end up uneven and easy to scratch. I got a compressor, a paint gun (low quality) and turned my garage into a 'paint booth'.

I can't give you specific instructions. I remember I cleaned the heck out of it. Sanded, steel wool, brushes and I forget what else. And the paint place sold me a final 'cleaner' to remove all residue. Prep Prep PREP.

I still remember when we went over to the ventilators. One was 20 bucks more than the others, I asked her if it was worth it, she asked me if my lungs were worth twenty bucks...

I have to say after a couple of engine pulls, lots of work, some smacking with tools it still looks good.

I know this is lacking in specifics but:

1. PREP

2. PAINT

3. LUNGS!

If you're using Duplicolor paint, use DARK Ford blue. Ford corporate or just ford blue are too light and bright. More like smurf blue.
Yeah - and DO NOT use Duplicolor 'Old Ford Blue.' You'll never hear the end of it [being the wrong color for a 351C]. rofl

542144_433474629996794_1108156464_n.jpg

Yeah - and DO NOT use Duplicolor 'Old Ford Blue.' You'll never hear the end of it [being the wrong color for a 351C]. rofl

looks like the same color as my block. (too light)

Yeah, it's not old ford blue, it's also smurf blue. They are way to bright. I made that mistake on my Bronco engine. I knew "ford blue" was smurf blue... I was pissed when "old ford blue" also was...

SUNP0103.jpg

looks like the same color as my block. (too light)
Looks great, what carb and manifold do you have???

Thanks! Edelbrock Performer 600cfm (1406) and Edelbrock Performer 2750 (since mine's a 351C-2V... the 4V version is 2665).

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

The engine bay should be a satin black if you want it to look original.

Jeff
Do you use rattle cans or a spray gun and compressor? What engine bay paint would you recommend????

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

Jeff
AAfter Brake Cleaner, is it ready to paint?? No other prepping????

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning
Did you do all of this with a rattle can or sprayer and compressor, look fantastic!!!!

Jeff
AAfter Brake Cleaner, is it ready to paint?? No other prepping????

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning

A

After Brake Cleaner, is it ready to paint?? No other prepping????

Did you do all of this with a rattle can or sprayer and compressor, look fantastic!!!!
What did you use on the bell housing????

Last edited by a moderator:
Bellhousing would be some type of aluminum color. They make a spray can called aluma blast that would work.

On your question about rattle can vs spray gun...either will work but spray gun is more durable and will last longer. It is also more of a hassle so depends on what your trying to do.

Jeff

Back