Replace Headliner?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'72 Fastback (Mach Badging)
'06 Coupe (Mach Tribute)
Hey Guys,

I am going to replace my headliner and was curious about those who have already accomplished this. I have a new one from CJ's and the old one is still in place. What is the best procedure/ order to remove.

Is is a good idea to try to take it out uncut to allow use the headliner for a template to pretrim?

What adheasive would be recommended for edges?

Just how difficult is this?

I appreciate any replies.

John

Hey Guys,

I am going to replace my headliner and was curious about those who have already accomplished this. I have a new one from CJ's and the old one is still in place. What is the best procedure/ order to remove.

Is is a good idea to try to take it out uncut to allow use the headliner for a template to pretrim?

What adheasive would be recommended for edges?

Just how difficult is this?

I appreciate any replies.

John
Not to hard to do just time comsuming & I think it's best to remove the rear windsheild & lay out the new one in the sun before installing..forget about using the old one to "pretrim" in the real world that never seems to work... heres a good article

http://www.buickperformance.com/HeadlinerInstallation.htm

Scott

I took the easy way out. I bought the new line and paid the interior guy to put it in:dodgy:
How much did they charge?

Did you strip out the old before taking it to them?
I think it was around 150 and they done it all.
I had a quote for $250 but thought that was high. I do know these guys do outstanding work, and have worked for me before. Just hard to shop around with the car stuck in the garage...

My thought was if I could do it myself, that is money toward other parts that are critical...you all know the deal...

Here is a good link , thats help me:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/headliner_install/index.html

The instalation is easy, but you must remove the rear window, the windshild and interior trim ...

You need a good glue to glue the headliner on the front and rear window frame. I hold it in place with clambs. Cut the headliner after instalation.

It must be warm in the garage when you stretch the headliner! Small crinkles go back after few days.

And make it with a helper...

Hope that helps

David

Last edited by a moderator:
How much did they charge?

Did you strip out the old before taking it to them?
I had a quote for $250 but thought that was high. I do know these guys do outstanding work, and have worked for me before. Just hard to shop around with the car stuck in the garage...

My thought was if I could do it myself, that is money toward other parts that are critical...you all know the deal...
Had mine done at paint when all the glass was already removed so..... Do understand wanting to save money also but on the other hand break one of the glasses and there went your savings.

Had mine done at paint when all the glass was already removed so..... Do understand wanting to save money also but on the other hand break one of the glasses and there went your savings.
Agreed. And also you need to figure the worst care scenario but that said, since there is trim all around the edges, I can't see why it must be wrapped around under the glass. I admit I have no experience in this sorta thing, or restoring Mustangs for that matter, but learning as I go. One would assume that with todays adheasives, it could be made to stick and use the trim to cover any edge imperfections.

i did it with a friend and it took us 2 hours. it has to be warm! putting the new headliner under the suns helps a lot!

here's a link to my homepage:

http://v8austria.bplaced.net/index.html

i took a few pictures when we renewed the headliner. hope it helps

abudi

S6301077.jpg

S6301078.jpg

S6301080.jpg

S6301081.jpg

S6301082.jpg

S6301083.jpg

S6301084.jpg

S6301085.jpg

S6301086.jpg

S6301087.jpg

S6301089.jpg

S6301099.jpg

True! The warmer the better!

I installed the headliner in my car too, an NPD 30 dollar headliner that´s even if it´s not great, is the only you can get (import actually) in Uruguay...

I used the same tools as abudi here... and realise once you glue the vinyl, it keeps streching as it gets colder so, every imperfection disapear!

Not only the back window and the windshield should not be there when you put a new headliner, but all the trim arround the side windows...

Did you get it put in or do it yourself? how did it turn out?

Not to hard to do just time comsuming & I think it's best to remove the rear windsheild & lay out the new one in the sun before installing..forget about using the old one to "pretrim" in the real world that never seems to work... heres a good article

http://www.buickperformance.com/HeadlinerInstallation.htm

Scott

Great article! off to buy a steam cleaner and give this a try! good thing the headliner only costs $35.00. I won't feel that bad if I cant get it right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back