Replacing C6 Transmission Cooler Lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DragonKnight

Hi everyone,

It's been a busy few months working on all 3 cars (Hyundai S-Coupe, gf's Accord, and of course, the Mustang). Finally got a chance to replace the transmission cooler lines. Easy getting it out (cut into little pieces, extract). Getting them in is proving to be a challenge.

Here's what I have:

351C, 4V

- Exhaust removed, headers currently in

- Fan and shroud removed

- Radiator removed

C6

- Transmission still in

- Starter still in

- Replacement pre-bent cooler lines from CJ Pony Parts (mild steel)

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to get these transmission lines in. May look into removing the starter to gain more room. Currently on jack stands on the suspension points (not the frame as I'm also still working on getting that passenger floor pan in with fabricated toe extensions, eventually I'll get a thread up for that).

If needed, I may look into flexible transmission lines from O'Reilly (aka Schuck's/Kragen/whatever-its-friggin-name-is-nowadays, lol). Not going for concourse accuracy as I'm hoping to have this car up as a "back up" daily driver/weekend car until I have enough money and time to go for a full restoration (aka 10 years from now).

Much thanks for any help (and war stories on these lines, heh). :)

Rich

Last edited:
It is not fun and requires patience, calmness, and determination. You will likely need to remove the starter and passenger side header. It also seems like the alternator was in the way as well. I worked through the core support opening ( no grille, radiator, hoses, or fan installed). It was basically push and rotate, adjust line position, and repeat. I walked away more than once. My computer is kicking my butt on retrieving pictures but I'll try to get something posted.

Good Luck, Chuck

Not of much help but......

front drag link IMG_4245.JPG

F steering R IMG_4243.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Take header off take starter off and that should give you plenty of room.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks for the tips/advice/encouragement guys! I really appreciate it. I took a day off tomorrow in hopes on giving this a shot. Unfortunately my Hyundai S-Coupe (aka the daily driver) decided to act up this morning so I may have to concentrate on that. I'm hoping the S-coupe will be a quick fix (either battery or alternator) and then I can concentrate on the Mustang afterward. I'll look into posting pics of the progress once I get started. ;)

Rich

Don't be afraid to pull the motor mount bolt on that side a jack the motor up for additioal clearance. just be sure to block it with wood for when the frustration sets in and you get a little aggresive.

Ditto on Chuck's advice. Through the front grille opening.

Interestingly enough I was talking to a new (less than 2 months) owner of a 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago at a local cruise and he was telling me he purchased new transmission lines for the C6 and he was all set to have his 20 yr old son do the installation in the next couple days. After learning that neither of them was familiar with the procedure, I advised they get it up on a lift (if possible), but to be prepared for a trial of patience. Haven't run into him to see how it went. I also gave him the website information and recommended he sign up.

Ah, no go for yesterday. Work on my Hyundai S-Coupe took a lot longer than expected. :(

I'll give this a shot next weekend though. Thanks for all your help. :)

Rich

Like Chuck said, pull the header and starter. The lines also run right next to the oil pan, so pull the P/S engine mount out as well. It takes a lot of patience, as they only fit properly one way.

Boy this brings back bad memory's.:mad: I agree with all posts above. I pulled the p/s mount and raised the p/s of the engine. Have somebody help guide the lines. I bent my my first set badly. My second set from a different company didn't fit much better. If your lines fit nice let me know where you got them. I'm not sure mine are going to work. Mark

I didn't have a stock radiator so I got braided stainless steel lines made at my local hydraulics shop. a bit expensive but it looks good and they where easy to put in. I still have a set of brand new stainless steel lines but they don't fit my aluminum radiator. I would sell them but I don't have the box they came in anymore. I guess I will have t find someone local to buy them.

Finally got it done yesterday!

Had to pull the following out:

- Fan shroud and radiator (already done)

- Starter

- Passenger side engine mount

- Lower alternator bracket

- Bracket holding the latch and lower valence

After all that was pulled out, it made life a lot easier and was able to fish both lines through in less than 20 minutes. Unfortunately the lines weren't perfect (from CJ Pony Parts) so I'll need to do some bending and adjusting this Friday.

Thank you guys again for all your help. Your advice really helped out. :D

Rich

Last edited:
I'm glad you got it done. Patience and determination works most of the time. So, the next step is ........? Chuck

Mostly tweaking the transmission lines so that they fit properly. Then I'll slap the rest of the engine parts back in.

I was also welding my passenger side floor pan in (got the rear part of it in). Unfortunately I ran out of shielding gas and my gas regulator isn't working properly (can't get a good pressure reading out of one of the gauges as the needle seems stuck and it was leaking gas which is why I ran out of shielding gas so quickly). So I'll need to refill on shielding gas and replace the regulator.

Oh yeah, my girlfriend, the kids, and I will be moving to a new place. Fun part is this place has a garage so I'll also be moving the Mustang from my in-laws garage to this new place in mid-September. Luckily it's not too far away. Looking forward to being able to work on the Mustang more (and give the in-laws their garage back...even though they've been more than happy to help us out since they're big classic car fans, lol). :)

Rich

Back