Rocker question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey,

Today I opened up my driver's side valve cover to see how dirty it would be (in preparation for my first oil change) and if everything was OK.

I found that from 2 of the rockers, the splash screens (dunno the proper name) had snapped off:

IMG_4617.JPG

I managed to retrieve the splash screens so they can't do any damage but is this really bad? I suspect they make the oil that squirts from the push rod drip down in to the rocker? There is oil on the bolt so I wonder if it's really bad. Having said that, the rocker had a tiny bit of sideway play.

Do I need to replace stuff?

Thanks,

Vincent.

You are correct, part of their function is to concentrate oil onto the rocker arm fulcrum. They also help to keep so much oil from the cover. As long as your valve covers have the baffles at the oil cap holes there shouldn't be a problem. Too much oil on the PCV valve isn't good.

Back