Roller Camshaft: Adjustable vs Non-Adjustable Rockers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
When installing a roller camshaft, should I be looking to have the heads machined to accept adjustable rockers? Or can I use a set of pedestal mount roller rockers (which I already have)?

My car is a weekend cruiser, and reliability is important, unless there are significant performance gains to be had by going to adjustable rockers...

Thanks everyone.

I'd go adjustable. Getting proper preload on hydraulic lifters is critical and messing with shims and pushrod lengths is a PITA. Most any aftermarket cam is going to have more lift than any stock cam and rocker arm geometry can be improved with the ability to change stud length. Your current studs are pressed in and with modern cam profiles and spring pressures, a stud pulling out is a real possibility.

I personally would not run your current rocker arm set up with any cam, but I just built an entire engine as a result of trying to use roller rockers that were "good enough"

If my prior posts don't reveal it, I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending it, I always try to spend to accomplish a goal.

351c or 302?

Adjustable rocker studs are pretty much the only way to go. Even so, you still really need to measure for the correct pushrod length after everything is assembled and mocked up. Attempting to do that without adjustable rockers would need to be extremely precise.

Latest posts

Back