Route 66 road trip!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
We are going on a road trip! I completed 2 years of chemo in December so we are looking at a Route 66 road trip. We will likely start in Rolla, MO (1 hour from home) and end in Las Vegas or maybe Los Angelas. So I am beginning to prep my 73 Mach 1 for the trip. So I have some questions for the trip.
1. Has anyone done this trip? If there is a certain group to get in touch with please help with this info.
2. What would everyone recommend for drivetrain upgrades? I have a 4 bbl 351c with the factory C6 hooked to ford 9 inch 3:50 trac loc. Also has the Holley sniper with hyperspark ignition. I was thinking a transmission upgrade but unsure which one to replace the C6 with.
3. Comforts. I already have Classic Auto Air. Maybe cruise control?
4. Safety and security. I already have aftermarket shoulder belts but was thinking Lug nut locks. Should I security system? Some sort of tracking system?
5. Other. What am I not thinking of?

Thanks for all the input in advance!
Jeff

As to your possible tranny upgrade question; you may want to check out a "Gear Vendors" unit, especially if you want to keep your current C6 transmission.and 3:50 gears.

https://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

I'm a mile off of Route 66 in Carthage Mo. if you have any trouble in the area. have fun!

When you hit Arizona, the side trip from Flagstaff to Sedona/Jerome is well worth the trip. But do it during the week, weekends are a madhouse.

1017191053.jpg1012191702_HDR.jpg1012191832.jpg

Thanks for the comments so far! I need to do some work to the brakes I want a better stop and I need to redo the front end. I mean its fine for around town but for a long road trip I need it to be better. Any thoughts about these? This is a bucket list item. Since Im a cancer Survivor theres no time to waste!
Jeff

Sounds like a fun, epic adventure! Remember to take a tool kit, some common spare parts (belts, hoses, fuel filter, etc.), a gas can, some pre-mixed coolant, and at least one good type A-B-C fire extinguisher. Make sure your spare tire and jack are in serviceable condition.

Decades ago, my aunt, uncle, and cousins owned and operated a small motel along Route 66 near Sullivan, MO. Good fishing in that neck o' the woods!

👍 Plus overdrive to boot
The gear vendors will lower RPM +650 RPM on the highway if you want more than get a 4r70 transmission. they have a 30% overdrive and can bolt right in since is they both got small block ford bolt pattern. Just get one with a two bolt starter go to Bellman controls. They have great write ups on how to beef up or call Broader Performance in Texas I’ll get you a transmission set up just right.
Has Frante theft get a little toddler switch isn’t it that cuts off your fuel system? If fuel pump simple yet effective you can get one of those grand no wheel no steel systems. You can remove your steering wheel and have a security cap goes over it.

If you still have the 'ol carb bring it with you as a spare in case the Sniper goes bad. Depending on what you are using for fuel pump you may need a mechanical fuel pump. Depending on space you could bring a spare alternator if you kept an old one. Bring extra liquids, a garage jack, at least one jack stand and a good pair of flashlights. A spare tire or donut. This is beyond a good set of tools. Since you will be driving along hot spots make sure your cooling system is 100% including fans, shroud, etc. Have a good phone holder for navigation, cup holders and USB plugs to charge stuff.
Even though you have the CAA A/C, it is not going to work well as temps near the mid 90s depending on how sunny, how well insulated the car is and if you are idling. That said, you may want to look at ventilated car seat covers. Car window shades are also a good idea. That fastback window acts like a solarium so not a bad idea to tint it or find a way to reduce the sunlight from it.
Last but not least think about a backup camera, which is extremely useful in our cars.
I am probably forgetting stuff but this is based on the thousands of Hot Rod Power Tour miles.

The gear vendors will lower RPM +650 RPM on the highway if you want more than get a 4r70 transmission. they have a 30% overdrive and can bolt right in since is they both got small block ford bolt pattern. Just get one with a two bolt starter go to Bellman controls. They have great write ups on how to beef up or call Broader Performance in Texas I’ll get you a transmission set up just right.
Has Frante theft get a little toddler switch isn’t it that cuts off your fuel system? If fuel pump simple yet effective you can get one of those grand no wheel no steel systems. You can remove your steering wheel and have a security cap goes over it.
Yes I've thought about the fuel pump shut off. Do you a have any recommendations on location? I was thinking in the trunk.
Sounds like a fun, epic adventure! Remember to take a tool kit, some common spare parts (belts, hoses, fuel filter, etc.), a gas can, some pre-mixed coolant, and at least one good type A-B-C fire extinguisher. Make sure your spare tire and jack are in serviceable condition.

Decades ago, my aunt, uncle, and cousins owned and operated a small motel along Route 66 near Sullivan, MO. Good fishing in that neck o' the woods!
Yes it is. I'm south of there closer to the Arkansas line.

Bring lots of water, it can be hot here even in October and is 90 percent dry all the time. If you plan on stopping at Roy's cafe you may have to backtrack from Ludlow, check the roads, California is bad about fixing roads.

Try to stay at the Blue Bird motel Tucumcari NM, it’s a classic Route 66 spot. When you hit Santa Fe, take an extra day or two and drive up to Taos, very cool.

Back