Saginaw steering gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
Hi,

I am changing the steering gear in my 1971 Mach 1.

I have  a 72 Saginaw to replace the old one as there is  too much lash in the old one - you can turn the steering wheel ab. 30 degrees until the tires react.

Question: When turning by hand this "new" one  it feels  stiff in the middle of the  rotation, when having the steering gear on the  table ( not turning from the steering wheel).

Should it feel that way  - or is it defect ?

I know that  this  steering gear ( ab 3.2 turns lock to lock)  is so called variable  power steering.

Anybody experiencing anything like  me  regarding this  issue ?

Yes.

Lock to lock there  should be a spot that takes about 10+ inch pounds to get past it.  You won't notice it with a steering wheel.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have  a 72 Saginaw to replace the old one as there is  too much lash in the old one - you can turn the steering wheel ab. 30 degrees until the tires react.
Before changing the steering gear, be sure that it is the problem.  Often times, it can be the rag joint, worn ball joints, idler arms, etc.  Put the car up on jack stands, and get underneath, and have someone move the steering wheel and watch what is going on starting from the rag joint on down.  Chances are it is not the gear itself.

West Coast Cougars has an excellent video on how to diagnose loose steering.

Yes.

Lock to lock there  should be a spot that takes about 10+ inch pounds to get past it.  You won't notice it with a steering wheel.

attachment.php
Thank you  - I think this solves my doubts !

Hi,

Before changing the steering gear, be sure that it is the problem.  Often times, it can be the rag joint, worn ball joints, idler arms, etc.  Put the car up on jack stands, and get underneath, and have someone move the steering wheel and watch what is going on starting from the rag joint on down.  Chances are it is not the gear itself.

West Coast Cougars has an excellent video on how to diagnose loose steering.
Thanks !  A good point !

I had a great deal of slop in my steering when I first bought my car. I initially thought it was the steering gear also, but that had been replaced by the PO's restoration. Ended up being both the pitman arm & the rag joint. What a huge difference after I replaced them. It drives straight and true. No more white knuckle rides!

Latest posts

Back