Sequential Unit Numbers by year

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you take the vert VIN of 262956 and subtract from the Coupe that was last there was 935 cars built after the vert. Not all Mustangs probably some Cougars and I do not know if they built others on that line or not?

So it is safe to say the vert was not the last Mustang but would have to ask Marti about being the last Vert made.

To keep the conversation going, my initial thought was that since the first VIN for each year is supposed to be 100001, the following should apply:

In 1971, there were 149,682 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 249682.

In 1972, there were 125,093 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 225093.

In 1973, there were 134,867 Mustangs built, so the last VIN should be 234867.

...but I KNOW this is not correct because my 1973 Grandé has a VIN of 244824.

So, I may be mistaken in thinking that the Mustang line begin with VIN 100001. Then again, there may be other factors at work. Perhaps some of you may be able to provide additional insight.

Great Posting, Ray!

BT
My 1973 Mach 1 is 254041.

I posted this in another thread but thought it a better fit here:

This thread contains some very good info about a vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number aka serial number) and the sequential unit number.

To use this last 6 digits of the VIN, again known as the sequential unit number, to determine placement on the assembly line for production related dates just provides general info and is not very accurate. For those with Marti reports on their cars - the other production info along with the VINs help to dig deeper. Once an order received a VIN (serialized), and then for some reason the same order was cancelled - those VINs were not reused. So every VIN number (numerically counting) does not equal an actual car produced. And if you see a series of VINs in numerical sequence, they were probably not on the line one behind the other!!! FYI I have heard of a few very rare exceptions to this...

I sure hope this helps.

Ray

Back