Sequential Unit Numbers by year

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car falls in with the 73 numbers. 263742, one of the last one's produced. It was built 3 days early on July 3, 1973.
This and the post below are VERY significant posts!

263900 was the last potential VIN that could be assigned. Several hundred, maybe even 1500 or more cars could be produced on any given day. Sooo... since car 263742 was built on July 3rd. That means it was one of the last cars and that production probably ended between July 5th and July 6th or 7th.

Then the entire plant shut down in order to retool for the Mustang IIs.

In the case of my C6 (260846), it was also serialized on 6/5/73 but not bucked until 7/2/73, then eventually built on 7/5/73 (3 days behind schedule).
"...built on 7/5/73". One of the very last ones built.

Last edited by a moderator:
My car falls in with the 73 numbers. 263742, one of the last one's produced. It was built 3 days early on July 3, 1973.
This is a VERY significant post!

263900 was the last potential VIN that could be assigned. Several hundred, maybe even 1500 or more cars could be produced on any given day. Sooo... since car 263742 was built on July 3rd. That means it truly was one of the last cars and that production ended between July 3rd and July 6th or 7th.

Sure would be cool to have someone with actual production plant (F & T) experience to help us understand more. Do you have the and or last day for the 72 or 72 production runs? Thanks Don.

Ray

263900 was the last potential VIN that could be assigned. Several hundred, maybe even 1500 or more cars could be produced on any given day. Sooo... since car 263742 was built on July 3rd. That means it was one of the last cars and that production probably ended between July 5th and July 6th or 7th.

In the case of my C6 (260846), it was also serialized on 6/5/73 but not bucked until 7/2/73, then eventually built on 7/5/73 (3 days behind schedule).
GREAT point, Don!

This is especially significant when you take into consideration that July 4 (surely a holiday:)) fell on a Wednesday that year. I think Steve73QMach1 and HighOctane have hit onto something, here.

BT

GREAT point, Roy!

This is especially significant when you take into consideration that July 4 (surely a holiday:)) fell on a Wednesday that year. I think Steve73QMach1 and HighOctane have hit onto something, here.

BT
Roy??? :p

GREAT point, Don!

BT
Roy??? :p
My "halfheimers" strikes again, Don!

I have corrected the post:).

BT

Well Dad bought the Boss he is traileringit home today! I will see it this weekend when we go in. Hopefully take it for a spin, it has been 36 years since the last ride in Dad's first Boss. I still remember it despite being a toddler then.

You can actually tell an early 71 from the dome light installed. They changed mid year.
How so?

mike

The 71s are unique cars. That's all im going to say about that. ;)
The early '71's were the last of the performance Mustangs.

That's all I am going to say about that.

mike

You can actually tell an early 71 from the dome light installed. They changed mid year.
How so?

mike

The 71s are unique cars. That's all im going to say about that. ;)
The early '71's were the last of the performance Mustangs.

That's all I am going to say about that.

mike
The base is different and it seems something with the type of bulb, may be wrong on that but here is a link to the late 71-73 base

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2877

Alrighty. Just saw this thread and I do have some information of value to add (I think). This is part of an email conversation I had with Kevin Marti (read bottom up):

Mr. Koopman,

It was the last day Grande's were built. There were a few other models of Mustangs built a few days later.

Thank you,

Kevin Marti

Marti Auto Works

www.martiauto.com

12007 W. Peoria Ave.

El Mirage, AZ 85335

(623)935-2558

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:37 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Your Marti Report, Order: 1736366

Hello,

I have recently purchased a $40 report for my Mustang with VIN 3F04H262848 and I'm pleased with it, thanks!. There is one thing I'd like to ask though: It states a built date of July 6, 1973 and I was told that that was the very last day that the Mustang series I was produced.

I was wondering of you could confirm this?

Thanks and have a great day!

Vincent Koopman,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

I recently received the Marti books and was hoping I could find date related sequential unit numbers. They are the last 6 of the VINS for each year.

I'd like to know the VIN for the first and last Mustang produced for each year.

I also realize that the VIN will not always be the deciding factor as to date assembled. Because some cars could be scheduled and bucked, receiving a VIN and then held up due to parts availability; especially for special ordered cars.

And for that reason maybe I could get the first/last date of production for each year - even that would be useful. But I cannot afford to pay Marti's folks an hourly rate to look this information up... My blank check would BOUNCE real quick! LOL

I had considered using the REGISTRY here on this site but I don't think it would provide enough info.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/71-73-mustang-registry.html

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this?

Thanks!

Ray
Ray,

I was incorrect Ray it was #000003. Here is the link info still on eBay. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1-serial-100003

If you do a search of the eBay cars pulled over I put up a thread about I think a 1973 Mach 1 last year with unit #000001. I will go see if I can locate it. You do realize that there are always early build cars out there also made before SOP for the model year. I do not know that Marti would even have that info. I know Ford made as many as 200 some years. They do this to check out the assembly process on the line and make sure everything fits properly. I have attended some of those builds and can be months ahead of the SOP. Cars for photo shoots, magazine shots & testing, extended mileage testing and of course those made for the bosses early. Your task you have picked is not an easy one for sure. All the early builds are planned out months ahead to allow suppliers to get their parts ready and attend the builds. Some are made with pure prototype parts and some have to be production parts to prove out their function. In today's world it also has lots of government crash testing and economy runs. If only someone had kept all the timeline information for those builds.

I kept the info for the first all new BMW built in S.C. the X-5. They sold to the public around 175 pre production vehicles used for various things.

Finding you an old engineer from the Mustang line would be your best bet.

Most people just toss all that info.

David

Alrighty. Just saw this thread and I do have some information of value to add (I think). This is part of an email conversation I had with Kevin Marti (read bottom up):

Mr. Koopman,

It was the last day Grandé's were built. There were a few other models of Mustangs built a few days later.

Thank you,

Kevin Marti

Marti Auto Works

www.martiauto.com

12007 W. Peoria Ave.

El Mirage, AZ 85335

(623)935-2558

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:37 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Your Marti Report, Order: 1736366

Hello,

I have recently purchased a $40 report for my Mustang with VIN 3F04H262848 and I'm pleased with it, thanks!. There is one thing I'd like to ask though: It states a built date of July 6, 1973 and I was told that that was the very last day that the Mustang series I was produced.

I was wondering of you could confirm this?

Thanks and have a great day!

Vincent Koopman,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Was your car built in U.S. or there?

David

Thanks Vinnie and David. It is a difficult one that I have put on the back burner for sure. AS people get more info from Marti, I hope they will try and add info here. Thanks again for everyone's inputs!

Ray

I understand that Cougars were built on the same assembly line with mustangs in 71-73 and were serialized consecutively together.

Hi there,

I have followed this interesting thread for a while. Accidentally I found this car at the Florida-located company RAGTOPS". I was on their premises some years ago and remember they had very nice cars in their inentory. The car shown for sale is a red 1973 convertible with a 351 2V engine.

It has a plaque on the center console identifying it as an award car handed from Lee Iaccocca to the (in 1973) very successful Ford dealer Sam Marshall of Marshall Ford in Cleveland. The plaque states that it is the last 1973 Mustang of the assembly line in Dearborn. It carries the sequence number 262956 which makes it a possibility that this could really be the last car of the 1973 breed.

Does anyone have serious doubt that Lee Iaccocca - who reportedly hated the "fat pigs" - gave one as an award to a promoted dealership? This is the part of the story I have problems to believe...

Last 73 4.jpg

Last 73 7.jpg

Last 73 3.jpg

Last 73 2.jpg

It should be simple enough to get with Marti to verify. Might have been the last convertible buy maybe other coupes, sportsroof or Mach1 followed? Would be interesting to know. I asked my dealer if they could set up for my car to be last one made and they did not have that much pull. Even thought they have had salesmen in the top ten for the year for all of Ford.

It should be simple enough to get with Marti to verify. Might have been the last convertible buy maybe other coupes, sportsroof or Mach1 followed? Would be interesting to know. I asked my dealer if they could set up for my car to be last one made and they did not have that much pull. Even thought they have had salesmen in the top ten for the year for all of Ford.
Of course can't go by just the VIN. They can be all over he place...

I'd need to see the Marti report on that red convertible. Maybe the last convertible built for 73 but I agree with David as I don't think it is the last 73 Mustang produced.

Ray

Back