So how do you clean YOUR top?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Thanks to the forums I placed the order today for my new rear curtain with a glass window to replace mine. Now the new one will be nice and white but I'm afraid my top is going to need some cleaning and brightening to make it match a bit better.

Ginger, my 73 (yes, my 65 is MaryAnn) sat under a tree for many years until just recently and now is getting a new lease on life. Her top has been scrubbed gently and the PO even pressure washed it before I got it.

But how do YOU clean your white vert top? Anything that you can recommend that won't damage the paint?

Thanks!

Scott

Here's a another pic.

28ruoo.jpg

I've used whitewall cleaner on everything from tennis shoes to car interior(white). It's kind of harsh and you might not want to use it on a regular bases but it really cuts the crud. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure somebody will be along to tell you what you should use.:)

I have used Marine Boat cleaner and a scrub brush, to cut through the mildew and dirt stains, it is harsh, but it still left some faded stains from the mildew..

then I protect it with the 303 vinyl protector.

I really like to hear more sugestions.

I've used whitewall cleaner on everything from tennis shoes to car interior(white). It's kind of harsh and you might not want to use it on a regular bases but it really cuts the crud. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure somebody will be along to tell you what you should use.:)
Ah, love that bleach-white! Really works on raised white lettering, used it for years. Will it harm paint? Not that I'd try to get it there, just in rinsing.

I have used Marine Boat cleaner and a scrub brush, to cut through the mildew and dirt stains, it is harsh, but it still left some faded stains from the mildew..

303 vinyl protector? I hadn't heard of it when you posted so I looked it up. Good reviews for the whole convertible top kit for about $23. Thanks for the lead.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Vinyl-Convertible-Top-Kit/dp/B0002KKIR8

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, love that bleach-white! Really works on raised white lettering, used it for years. Will it harm paint? Not that I'd try to get it there, just in rinsing.

303 vinyl protector? I hadn't heard of it when you posted so I looked it up. Good reviews for the whole convertible top kit for about $23. Thanks for the lead.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Vinyl-Convertible-Top-Kit/dp/B0002KKIR8

Scott
I've used it for Years on my boat it keeps the vinyl like new in the harsh sun and salt, so I trust it on my conv top.

here is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-303-32-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B004YJQE0S/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

Last edited by a moderator:
Well bleech-white says don't get it on alloy,glass,fabric or paint. Been using it for 40 years and haven't seen any damage yet but you might want to use the marine cleaner stuff. First time I read the instructions:)

I have used a product called Spray Nine to clean white vinyl tops and vinyl cushions. It works great but try to keep from spraying it on dry paint. I would keep a hose running on the paint as you spray the vinyl just in case to avoid any staining

It whitens more if you apply and leave it in the sun for a while then reapply and wash off.

It is found at most marine stores like west marine.

I have had pretty good luck with simple green and some elbow grease. I am lucky enough to have just replaced the top and my plan is to keep it from getting in trouble. Keep it up when you are not driving. Park it in a garage when possible. After it sits for a few months I will wipe it down before putting it down. I hope I can keep up this descipline.

I eventually changed to a black top which completely cured the problem.

The best thing for a white top is to clean it before you fold it down.

Some of that black dust is from smog which grinds into where the top creases while it folds down. So if you wipe it first, it won't rub in and make those black marks. Protectant is good for the vinal but it also attracts dust and smog particles. Armorall is the worst. Silicone spray is better, no protectant is best (but try to keep it out of the sun).

Back