Hello from Reno, Nevada

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73MustangConvertibleGal

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hello, my name is Julie and I live in Reno, Nevada. I am restoring my late father’s 1973 Mustang H code convertible.

Dad ordered it in late 1972 and when it arrived, it didn’t have some of the high performance options that he had ordered. Apparently, Ford discontinued some options mid-production year.

This was his daily driver and he took great pride in it. I was only 10 yo so I don’t know the options that he was expecting. It was an H code 351-2V (but no RAM air) with FMX automatic transmission, 3.25:1 Standard differential. Wimbledon White with white Deluxe interior and the option of body side striping.

In 1984, Dad replaced the engine a 1972 engine from a Mach Mustang which is the engine that sits in it today. 351-4V CJ with a 4 speed top loader Hurst shifter. I am learning the terminology so, apologies if I say something redundant or incorrect.
Dad passed in 1997 and my sister took the car. It sat in her backyard in Phoenix, first covered, then uncovered, then with tears in the convertible top. For 15 years it was never moved or driven.

In 2012, my 17 year old son spotted it and immediately fell in love. He bought it from my sister and my brother helped me transport it to Northern Nevada. My son carefully removed the interior and welded in a new floor pan. Together with my brother he replaced all belts and hoses and got the engine running. He began to sand the body and then he discovered girls and lost interest in the car. The car has been covered and garage stored during the past 10 years. In 2017, it moved with us to Reno and was stored in the corner of our garage. Last summer when we finished our landscaping, I told my husband that I would like to either restore the Mustang or sell it for someone else to restore and enjoy. Happily, he encouraged me to restore it.

I began my restoration journey August of 2021. I have personally repainted it. (soooo much sanding!) I sold the Corbeau seats that my son had put in it and had the original seats recovered. I had the convertible top replaced and the engine professionally tuned. I replaced the carpet and am installing reproduction door panels, etc as the original ones were too far gone. I only wish I had found this 71-73 Mustang Forum sooner, as I have found lots of great advice and answers, mining its depths since joining. I still have lots of little things to do. For example, yesterday I installed a new washer reservoir and pump. Thanks to this forum, I tested it for leaks and power before the full install, saving me time and headaches. My goal is to be largely finished (will we ever be finished though?) by August 7, which will be the one year anniversary of when I began this restoration journey. I am looking forward to driving around town during Hot August Nights which is an awesome event held here in Reno each year. My husband is looking forward to drives to Lake Tahoe with the top down.

I will include a few photos of the car right before my son rescued it and how it is doing now.
I know my Dad would have loved that his daughter and grandson brought his beloved Mustang back from the dead, and am glad to be a part of this forum. Thank you! -JulieIMG_0022.jpgCIMG0180.jpgCIMG0181.JPGCIMG0192.JPGIMG_3883.jpgIMG_3966.JPG

Welcome from Birmingham Alabama, Julie! Your Dad would be so proud, and you have done an awesome job with the car. Thanks for saving another one! BTW, the Tutone Hood, Decor Group, and Side Stripe options were rare in 73. The Tutone hood was as close as your Dad could get to something that looked like ram air in 73, do to the EPA and emissions controls. There is a story behind all that you can Google. Even the Q code 4V 351C cars came stock with the flat hood in 1973. You had to order the Tutone hood to get the NASA styled hood. Your car looks like it had the Tutone hood option from the factory. Very cool! Kevin.

Last edited:
Welcome from Ohio. Thanks for sharing your story and it's great to see that the car has stayed in the family. You done some really nice work on it and I'm for sure you dad is smiling down on you. As you already found out there is a lot of great info here but also a great group of people that are willing to take the time to try to help out when needed.

Welcome from Illinois and another vert owner! As the others have said, very nice job, and yes your dad would definitely be proud!

Hello, my name is Julie and I live in Reno, Nevada. I am restoring my late father’s 1973 Mustang H code convertible.

Dad ordered it in late 1972 and when it arrived, it didn’t have some of the high performance options that he had ordered. Apparently, Ford discontinued some options mid-production year.

This was his daily driver and he took great pride in it. I was only 10 yo so I don’t know the options that he was expecting. It was an H code 351-2V (but no RAM air) with FMX automatic transmission, 3.25:1 Standard differential. Wimbledon White with white Deluxe interior and the option of body side striping.

In 1984, Dad replaced the engine a 1972 engine from a Mach Mustang which is the engine that sits in it today. 351-4V CJ with a 4 speed top loader Hurst shifter. I am learning the terminology so, apologies if I say something redundant or incorrect.
Dad passed in 1997 and my sister took the car. It sat in her backyard in Phoenix, first covered, then uncovered, then with tears in the convertible top. For 15 years it was never moved or driven.

In 2012, my 17 year old son spotted it and immediately fell in love. He bought it from my sister and my brother helped me transport it to Northern Nevada. My son carefully removed the interior and welded in a new floor pan. Together with my brother he replaced all belts and hoses and got the engine running. He began to sand the body and then he discovered girls and lost interest in the car. The car has been covered and garage stored during the past 10 years. In 2017, it moved with us to Reno and was stored in the corner of our garage. Last summer when we finished our landscaping, I told my husband that I would like to either restore the Mustang or sell it for someone else to restore and enjoy. Happily, he encouraged me to restore it.

I began my restoration journey August of 2021. I have personally repainted it. (soooo much sanding!) I sold the Corbeau seats that my son had put in it and had the original seats recovered. I had the convertible top replaced and the engine professionally tuned. I replaced the carpet and am installing reproduction door panels, etc as the original ones were too far gone. I only wish I had found this 71-73 Mustang Forum sooner, as I have found lots of great advice and answers, mining its depths since joining. I still have lots of little things to do. For example, yesterday I installed a new washer reservoir and pump. Thanks to this forum, I tested it for leaks and power before the full install, saving me time and headaches. My goal is to be largely finished (will we ever be finished though?) by August 7, which will be the one year anniversary of when I began this restoration journey. I am looking forward to driving around town during Hot August Nights which is an awesome event held here in Reno each year. My husband is looking forward to drives to Lake Tahoe with the top down.

I will include a few photos of the car right before my son rescued it and how it is doing now.
I know my Dad would have loved that his daughter and grandson brought his beloved Mustang back from the dead, and am glad to be a part of this forum. Thank you! -JulieView attachment 65298View attachment 65299View attachment 65300View attachment 65301View attachment 65302View attachment 65303
Welcome from Maryland great car, thanks for sharing you story.

Welcome from NC. Nice save on the car; it is awesome. Way to honor your dad!

Latest posts

Back