Something actually went right today!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been fixing up a 72 Vert, factory Bright Red/White/White car I bought a few years ago. Unfortunately, the trunk key was missing when I bought it. I have a big bag of ignition and trunk keys from cars I parted out, and I've tried using them many times in similar situations with no luck. So I tried it this time, and I s@#t you not, the last key I tried opened the deck lid!

So I've been fixing up a 72 Vert, factory Bright Red/White/White car I bought a few years ago. Unfortunately, the trunk key was missing when I bought it. I have a big bag of ignition and trunk keys from cars I parted out, and I've tried using them many times in similar situations with no luck. So I tried it this time, and I s@#t you not, the last key I tried opened the deck lid!
For some people that is also known as a screwdriver.

Good deal. I've had to play the "remove the back seat and crawl through the tiny opening, then unscrew the truck latch from inside" game on a couple mustangs.
That's how I got in the last time I didn't have the key! But there's a twist. My fat ass couldn't fit through the hole, so I had to attached ten extensions together to my ratchet and reinforced them with duct tape to keep the assembly fairly straight. Then I unscrewed the two bolts holding the catch and got the deck lid open. This time it was much easier, lol!

That's how I got in the last time I didn't have the key! But there's a twist. My fat ass couldn't fit through the hole, so I had to attached ten extensions together to my ratchet and reinforced them with duct tape to keep the assembly fairly straight. Then I unscrewed the two bolts holding the catch and got the deck lid open. This time it was much easier, lol!
Can I borrow the bag of keys 🔑 for my coupe parts 🚗

When I was in HS a buddy had a 68 coupe. Another friend had just bought a a '78 Mustang II. The ignition keys were the same - they used to steal each other's cars.
My dad had a brand new 1979 T-Bird and my brother's 1970 F100 had the same keys. At first my brother thought the T-bird key fit his truck because his cylinders were worn out, but his keys fit my dad's car too. I guess Ford didn't use that many different combinations.

When junkyard roaming, I've used a dipstick to open the latch from the inside back seat...

BTW, a old-timer showed me that hack 50 years ago and now I'm the old-timer passing it on again!

When I was in HS a buddy had a 68 coupe. Another friend had just bought a a '78 Mustang II. The ignition keys were the same - they used to steal each other's cars.
Back when I was in HS, my brother had his '72 and we went to look at a '69 for me. Just for giggles, we tried his key to see if it would open the door, and it did. Always stuck with me...

Back