Sound off if you have a convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Don I have a 73 convertible, just to help you I'm 60 years old. I showed my wife a few different pictures of mustangs and the picture that I liked the best I kept showing it to her within a couple days and when she said ooh I like that one, that gave me a false OK in my mind, lol. So I went and bought it and never turned back I love it. came with a 302 installed a 351C Edelbrock heads to keep the 2v torque comp cams extreme energy cam 750 holley 2400 stall 350:1 posi. Runs great have not had a dyno run yet only have about 10 miles on it. do not regret one minute of it... Go for it.!!!!!!!!
John,

Lots of changes. Looks nice! I miss my old 73 vert. Here is how I remember it....

Image008a.jpg

Since you drove over to see it, what is your impression of its condition? Your lack of excitement in your posting tells the story? Honestly curious for all of the members.
Don't mean to seem un-excited. I am intentionally trying hard not to gush every time I post something. After reading a lot of post on this forum, it is evident there is a lot of knowledge and build experience that is impressive. Didn't want to come across like a teenager with a new car, when in fact that is exactly how I feel, but I'm 70. I am so excited I cant sit still.
Now to the car...The car came out of a personal collection. The seller showed the car a few times a year. It was driven very little. Had to replace all the tires due to age, 20 years old and looked like new tires. The PO put 500 miles on the car in the last 25 years. The clutch has a terrible rattle, The A/C compressor is locked up and will have to be replaced. The factory tach does not work untill it warms up. All gauges work otherwise. Clock even works. Paint is very nice, but clear coat is not perfect. Zero door dings. The engine bay is spotless. Don't know how it could look so good after 51 years unless the po Painted some of the equipment. Axle has new paint. The underside of the car is as clean as the engine bay. The am radio seems to work but the antenna cable has been cut, so not sure it works but I hear static. No sign of heater core leakage. Not being an expert i think most of the interior is original. Seats, dash, dashboard glass, seam perfect to my eyes. Carpet on the doors looks old but carpet on the floor may be new. Door panels look great Tranny shifts like new and engine sounds like new. The 20 year old top looks show room. Rear bumper looks amazing. I would welcome some honest opinions as I may be somewhat biased. As Bubba on one of my favorite movies "Forest Gump" so eloquently put it....."That's about it".All I have to fix is the clutch and A/C and maybe the Tach and antenna. Thanks for listening.

I bought my ‘73 vert on an eBay auction about 5 years ago, as my low ball bid of 14k took the car. It was in sad shape, but lots of potential. First expense was getting it trucked from San Diego to Fort Smith Arkansas, now knowing what I know, now I overpaid by a factor of two! The car had been through many owners, prior wrecks and redo’s, basically just left out to the elements of neglect. My budget was unrealistic as I thought I could get everything done with additional 10k, but I got over my head in a hurry.
The 351c H engine was the only thing running reasonably well, but the radiator was shot, the FMX trani was shot, wood chalks were jammed under the axel to keep it level, no brakes, no suspension worth salvaging, doors were unmatched from some other wrecked stang, keys mismatched, at least one inch of dried trani oil smeared under the floorboards from someone being too lazy to fix the vert hydraulic pump, I could go on and on. The vacuum drove me crazy, I had the dash out about 10 times as I didn’t know what I was doing. It was very difficult to find the ac/heater actuator for the vacuum, finally found a steel one as the plastic version consistently failed. It was in a 1000 pieces in my carport when my wife calmly said get it together or get rid of it!
I was fortunate to have a very talented mechanic friend who helped bring it to specs. New springs, sway bars, bilroth shocks, rebuilt trani, eldebrock 4V, electronic ignition, power locks and windows, original radio to restoration radio with 80 watt Bluetooth, and the big expense- an amazing paint and ceramic finish, it’s now a hot head turner! It’s my DD and I love it, only one recent problem, the harmonic balancer failed, but got fixed before any engine damage fortunately. Unapologetically, I’m 68 and as excited as a kid when I fire it up!

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0926.jpeg
    IMG_0926.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I bought my ‘73 vert on an eBay auction about 5 years ago, as my low ball bid of 14k took the car. It was in sad shape, but lots of potential. First expense was getting it trucked from San Diego to Fort Smith Arkansas, now knowing what I know, now I overpaid by a factor of two! The car had been through many owners, prior wrecks and redo’s, basically just left out to the elements of neglect. My budget was unrealistic as I thought I could get everything done with additional 10k, but I got over my head in a hurry.
The 351c H engine was the only thing running reasonably well, but the radiator was shot, the FMX trani was shot, wood chalks were jammed under the axel to keep it level, no brakes, no suspension worth salvaging, doors were unmatched from some other wrecked stang, keys mismatched, at least one inch of dried trani oil smeared under the floorboards from someone being too lazy to fix the vert hydraulic pump, I could go on and on. The vacuum drove me crazy, I had the dash out about 10 times as I didn’t know what I was doing. It was very difficult to find the ac/heater actuator for the vacuum, finally found a steel one as the plastic version consistently failed. It was in a 1000 pieces in my carport when my wife calmly said get it together or get rid of it!
I was fortunate to have a very talented mechanic friend who helped bring it to specs. New springs, sway bars, bilroth shocks, rebuilt trani, eldebrock 4V, electronic ignition, power locks and windows, original radio to restoration radio with 80 watt Bluetooth, and the big expense- an amazing paint and ceramic finish, it’s now a hot head turner! It’s my DD and I love it, only one recent problem, the harmonic balancer failed, but got fixed before any engine damage fortunately. Unapologetically, I’m 68 and as excited as a kid when I fire it up!
Very nice vert.

i got mine about 3 months ago from Aberdeen maryland. couple wanting to sell there house and move to delaware. found on FB been on for over 2 months. paint is about 9of 10. interior is great. the underside is the main reason i got it.... it's perfect, not a speck of rust anywhere. 351c ran great. i did new front tires and front end alignment, spark plugs and greased everything. needs a top and the steering has some slop so that replacement is on my list to do. 72k orig miles. going through the glove compartment is found a piece of paper with name and phone number from 1998 of a fella that restored it. haven't tried to contact yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1
i got mine about 3 months ago from Aberdeen maryland. couple wanting to sell there house and move to delaware. found on FB been on for over 2 months. paint is about 9of 10. interior is great. the underside is the main reason i got it.... it's perfect, not a speck of rust anywhere. 351c ran great. i did new front tires and front end alignment, spark plugs and greased everything. needs a top and the steering has some slop so that replacement is on my list to do. 72k orig miles. going through the glove compartment is found a piece of paper with name and phone number from 1998 of a fella that restored it. haven't tried to contact yet.
Nice looking car. Love that color.

I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

71 M-code, ram air, Lime with white top.

73 302 2V, c4 automatic, Yellow with Ginger interior

I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

71 M-code, ram air, Lime with white top.

1972, 302. We have had it in the family since 1984. My Mom bought it for my sister in Dallas from Dallas Mustang Parts. Our neighbor was the owner at the time, Scott McGilvery. The car was totally trashed when I grabbed it from my sister 10 years ago. Almost finished with a 4 year restoration at Russo's Rods and Restoration in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Attachments

• Brian 72 controls.jpg
    Brian 72 controls.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mustang Paint Done Back - Copy.jpg
    Mustang Paint Done Back - Copy.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Mustang September 2022 Getting There.jpg
    Mustang September 2022 Getting There.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
Back