speaker size and locations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay, folks.

I have downloaded some cutting templates from a speaker manufacturer (in this case Rockford Fosgate) and found that the bolt holes of a standard 6x9" speaker match the holes in the package tray sheetmetal.

Now for the downside. the hole for the speaker itself is too small for a 6x9" speaker. The holes in my tray have already been widened up, as mentioned, but still are too small for a speaker to mount flush.

I guess, it is necessary to use an adapter ring to move the position of the speaker higher, so that only the conical magnet basket goes through the hole.

Michael

Sorry for the delay, folks.

I have downloaded some cutting templates from a speaker manufacturer (in this case Rockford Fosgate) and found that the bolt holes of a standard 6x9" speaker match the holes in the package tray sheetmetal.

Now for the downside. the hole for the speaker itself is too small for a 6x9" speaker. The holes in my tray have already been widened up, as mentioned, but still are too small for a speaker to mount flush.

I guess, it is necessary to use an adapter ring to move the position of the speaker higher, so that only the conical magnet basket goes through the hole.

Michael
Just mount the speaker from the bottom of the tray (inside the trunk)

Someone please let me know if this is a ridiculous idea...

My passenger side heater vent is currently broken, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. But what if I move the vent behind the dash to point towards the floor and use the opening in the fron tof the dash for a speaker on each side?

Is that crazy? i don't think I would have to tear up the dash face in order to do it. just a thought I had. I am getting my center dash dual voice speaker today in the mail and will install that first and see how it does. I don't want to do the doors and I don't want to use the kick panels for speakers. was trying to think outside the box.

back in the early 90's my parents gave me their 77' Cougar, and I installed two 3 1/2" speakers in the dash location, and installed two tweeters in the air vents to hide them.

then I installed two 5 1/4 in the doors in the stock location and two 6x9" in the rear deck.

the vent locations worked out great for the tweeter locations.

you can install the dual VC speaker in the dash location and then add tow 3 1/2 speakers in the vents or tweeters in the vent location.

just my 2 cents :)

back in the early 90's my parents gave me their 77' Cougar, and I installed two 3 1/2" speakers in the dash location, and installed two tweeters in the air vents to hide them.

then I installed two 5 1/4 in the doors in the stock location and two 6x9" in the rear deck.

you can install the dual VC speaker in the dash location and then add tow 3 1/2 speakers in the vents or tweeters in the vent location.

Sweet! So i'm not the first to have this crazy idea.

Could just build a box and mount them horizontal under the dash.

Could just build a box and mount them horizontal under the dash.
Mark, I thought about that, there is so much room behind the glovebox, I thought of adding a 6.5" or a 8" subwoofer for some lowend under the dash.. :D

Mark, I thought about that, there is so much room behind the glovebox, I thought of adding a 6.5" or a 8" subwoofer for some lowend under the dash.. :D
Since bass is pretty much omni-directional, it shouldn't really matter where you put the subs. Honestly though - there's really not much room in the dash pod for any kind of decent subs - even 'Free-Air' subs won't be effective because you won't likely be able to make even the most basic "enclosure" they need. Your best bet is to get some speakers for the doors/dash that have the deepest bass response and hope for the best. That, or stuff a monster box behind the rear seat with an amp that will push the subs hard enough to get what you need with the top down. Make sure to get either an amp or EQ that will allow you to adjust the output on the subs for when you raise & drop the top, otherwise it'll seem like 'too much' with the top up and 'not enough' with it down.

I've got a box with a couple of Kicker 12"s driven by a 400-watt 2-channel in my Jeep. When the top's off, it's adequate enough to drive and still be heard. With the soft-top on, I get a little bit of the bass back, along with lots of mid/high reflectivity. When the hard top's on, the bass hits hard and it actually sounds like a decent stereo again.

I could go with better gear to get more bass without the tops, but it's a Jeep and prone to theft, and the stuff that's in there only cost me less than $100 from a buddy that was upgrading all his stuff (that's the best way to score cheap used stuff - that or the pawn shops).

when I re did the trunk, I took out the speaker speakerbox out, I had the tree 10" JL audio W6's

I 'd rather have the room in the trunk.

I still have the Batt wire and the RCA jacks under the back seat if I cange my mind :)

Do you have a template for that? I would like to be able to do that eventually.

Someone please let me know if this is a ridiculous idea...

My passenger side heater vent is currently broken, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. But what if I move the vent behind the dash to point towards the floor and use the opening in the fron tof the dash for a speaker on each side?

Is that crazy? i don't think I would have to tear up the dash face in order to do it. just a thought I had. I am getting my center dash dual voice speaker today in the mail and will install that first and see how it does. I don't want to do the doors and I don't want to use the kick panels for speakers. was trying to think outside the box.
It is not what I would do. I opted for cutting the doors and found is not that hard. I would think mods under the dash would be MUCH more intrusive/difficult. Then again, if it is not viewable, it would not be a bad thing. I had a 6x9 hanging under my dash in my 72 when I was in HS. People kicked it all the time and finally I just took it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to installing the center dash speaker. Dual voice coil, it sounds great. I put the speaker fade about 2 ticks to the front to put more of the sound up near me, but it sounds really good, and all the bass comes from the back. Also, I currently do not have an amplifier in the system. 2 package tray 6X9 and the one dual voice coil under the dash. Now I just need to road test it and see if it can get over the roar of the engine at 70mph

Latest posts

Back