Speaking of Equine machines and our beloved first generation pony cars...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
My Mustang Convertible turns 50 years old today. Built on June 8, 1973, at the Dearborn Plant, ordered by a Ford Executive, it remained at the Dearborn Plant that weekend. On Monday, June 11, 1973, with the paperwork completed, the car was "sold" to the Ford Marketing Division, loaded onto Rail Car #41 bound for Ford Preparation Center in Newark N.J., where it was prep'd and then delivered to that Ford Executive, "H. Hartman" at the Ford Delaware Valey PDC, in Pennsauken, New Jersey. His name and Employee Number are on the invoice.

Like our 1971-73 models, a three-year body style, and the last of the first generation cars, there was a three-year-old thoroughbred called Secretariat, and like the last of the first generation Pony Cars, he was the last of truly great racehorses.

What does my Mustang celebrating it 50th year have to do with a horse called Secretariat, you ask?

On the next day, June 9. 1973, a Saturday 50 years ago the greatest individual performance in sports history took place. I was Fourteen watching it on TV, it was something I will never forget. On Saturday, June 9, 1973, a chestnut brown three-year-old thoroughbred, also known as Big Red, won the Belmont Stakes and the triple crown, but the real story is how Secretariat won the Triple Crown and the last of the three races, the mile-and-a-half long Belmont race that made him greatest racehorse EVER!...

The quest for the triple crown started a month earlier, on May 5, Secretariat, met Sham (his closest rival, another great horse) at the Churchill Downs track in Louisville for the Kentucky Derby. Secretariat broke from almost last at the start of the race, to go on to win the 1 1/4-mile race in a record 1 minute and 59.4 seconds. He was the horse first to run the Derby in less than two minutes and his record still stands today.

Secretariat's record-breaking 1973 Kentucky Derby run:

Two weeks later, on May 19th at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland, the second event of the Triple Crown, Secretariat won the Preakness Stakes by about 2 ½ lengths, again ahead of his closest rival, Sham who was second. Again Secretariat was last at the start of the race, but when he makes a move on the outside, he passes the pack with tremendous speed. During the race, the official clock malfunctioned, but hand-recorded timers had him running the 1 3/16-mile race in record time. Secretariat maintained the top spot the entire race while setting a record time at the Pimlico Race Course at 1:53.00. However, for decades, the official record set by Secretariat remained miscalculated at 1:54 2/5. In 2012, the record was officially corrected after a forensic review of the tapes discovered that the race clocker had failed to properly keep track of the time.

Secretariat wins the 1973 Preakness Stakes:

On Saturday, June 9, 1973, Secretariat gave the finest performance of his career and won the Belmont Stakes and the triple crown, setting the track record with a time of 2:24, knocking nearly three seconds off the track record set by Gallant Man in 1957, a record that still stands today! Secretariat won the race pulling away from the pack to the very end by 31 lengths over the second-place horse. He covered the first mile and a quarter in 1 minute 59 seconds faster than his recording-setting Derby-winning time. In the last half of the race, the horse was no longer racing the others, he was racing only himself and history. My Gallant's jockey Angel Cordero Jr. said Secretariat was "just like a car." Hands down, the greatest individual performance in sports history (well in my opinion anyway), and a mile-and-a-half track time record that may last forever!

If you have never seen a replay of Secretariat’s incredible win in the Belmont by 31 lengths, click here:

and then there is a short documentary that provides a historical perspective:

A bit of Trivia...

How many athletes have 363 Roads in the U.S. named after them, or U.S Postal Stamp in their honor?

Ranked second and the only non-human on ESPN's 2005 list of the greatest sports performances, and thirteen on Sports Illustrated's 2016 list of 100 greatest moments in sports history.

Bettors at the Belmont Stakes holding 5,617 winning parimutuel tickets on Secretariat never redeemed them, presumably keeping them as souvenirs and also because the $2 ticket was only worth $2.20

Finally, You have to feel for Sham, who was a really great horse and may have been a triple-crown winner in any other year, but only gets a footnote.

Mary Me and Secretariat Statue in Kentucky.png
Original Invoice...
Copper 73 Mustang Invoice Pages 1 & 2 small.jpg

Last edited:
Great story! I remember that day too. Lived near Saratoga N.Y. so my whole family was into horse racing and we watched it in amazement. Was only a year older than you and definitely a mustang fan. My dad had a '65 convertible followed by a '73 Grande. Drove those cars all over the place. Loved the Grande. Plus you could sleep overnight in the front seat...sorta comfortably with the higher seats. Not so in the '65. By the way my '73 convertible turns 50 on June 15th! Thanks for the post.

Great story! I remember that day too. Lived near Saratoga N.Y. so my whole family was into horse racing and we watched it in amazement. Was only a year older than you and definitely a mustang fan. My dad had a '65 convertible followed by a '73 Grande. Drove those cars all over the place. Loved the Grande. Plus you could sleep overnight in the front seat...sorta comfortably with the higher seats. Not so in the '65. By the way my '73 convertible turns 50 on June 15th! Thanks for the post.
Thanks. So we both know exactly we where were at that moment 50 years ago....watching the TV in amazement.

Rackerm, Do you ever make it up to PA. for any car shows? Any local mustang club? Would love to see your car at a show. Rick
Rick,

I make a few, but i don't find very many in S.E. PA. I generally keep the drive to an hour so. If you know any coming up in the months ahead let me know. The car was one of the cars featured in building T at Carlise PA All Fords meet two years ago for the 50 year anniversary of the 71 - 73 model year. Will be at the Hagley (Dupont Estates) museum car show in September. It in Delaware near the PA border. It's big show 800 cars, everything from steam power, old electric, to classics and muscle cars. If you never been it's worth the trip.
20210603_091046.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rackerm, I agree Beautiful car! Question, looking at your order, was the decor package the Nasa hood in 73? I ask because I see you have the NASA hood with the black out.

Hi Rackerm, I agree Beautiful car! Question, looking at your order, was the decor package the Nasa hood in 73? I ask because I see you have the NASA hood with the black out.
The Decor Package was only available on the coupe and convertibles, it added Trim Rings and dog dish wheel covers, the bodyside blackout along the rockers with brightwork molding along the upper edge, and the blackout on the headlight bezels with the Mach 1 Grill. With this option, Ford also deleted the bottom rocker molding and the wheel lip molding. In addition, if you then added the Bodyside tape stripe, as you see on mine, Ford replaced the brightwork molding along the upper edge of the bodyside blackout with a pinstripe along the upper edge. A non-functional NASA hood was standard Mach 1s and a no-cost option on all models with a V8.

The Blackout on the hood was included in the Tu-Tone Hood paint option with a non-functional NASA Hood and the Twist-locks, or with the Dual Ram Induction option. This option included the aforementioned Tu-Tone Hood paint option and made the NASA hood functional. From mid '72 thru '73 it was only available on the single-exhaust Cleveland 351C 2v H-code.

I think that covers it...Clear as mud :)

With all that said, when I bought my car way back in 1995, it was a basket case, it had the Tu-tone NASA hood option on it, but the car was NOT ordered with the Tu-Tone Hood paint nor the Dual Ram Induction options. Since the car was a Ford "Employee Sales Vehicle", it was never dealer prep'd. Ford prep'd themselves, so who knows what was done and not done while at Ford's Preparation Center in Newark, N.J. I believe the factory installed the NASA hood no-cost option. I added the functional ram air, as well as, the dual exhaust which was not available from the factory on a 351C 2v H-Code car.

Back