starting question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargis1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
351 clevland
ok so I took the wiring harness out awhile back and cleaned it all up taped it up and all that good stuff. since then I reinstalled it and today I hooked the battery up to start it and when I turn the key just to see if the light come on the engine starts turning over . so I done that a few times to try to figure it out now it wont turn over it just buzzes loud over by the solenoid. any suggestions?

I'd start with solenoid. Sounds like you might the the "start" and "run" wires switched. Those are the two small ones on the front center of the solenoid. Switch them and see if it fixes it.

I'd start with solenoid. Sounds like you might the the "start" and "run" wires switched. Those are the two small ones on the front center of the solenoid. Switch them and see if it fixes it.
Yup.

Brown or red/green wire goes on the rearward small post; red/blue on the forward small post.

anyway someone can send me a pic? are you talking about the ones that just push on or the ones that screw on from the side?

ok so just checked them out and they are hooked up right. any other options?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that mach1000 had nailed it. Maybe the solenoid is installed upside down, which would require the wire connections that midlife described to be reversed. The solenoid is normally mounted with the mounting tabs higher than the terminals, and the red/blue wire is connected to the push-on "S" terminal and the brown or red/green wire is connected to the "I" push-on terminal.

We are talking about the small push on connectors that are in the "front" of the solenoid. The side terminals that use a nut to secure the wires are for your battery and ground.

ok everything seems to be mounted and wired the way everyone has described but still turns over by barely turning the key forward

everything looks good but still having the same problem car starts turning over by barely turning the key on a 1/4 of an inch

HI,

You are not being really clear.

The starter starts turning over the engine when you turn the key just barely, before the 'start' position?

When it is turning over, is it turning over strong or is it just barely turning over?

Check the starter switch to make sure the rod doesn't move and cause the switch to turn on too soon.

Remove all of the wires on the solenoid and using an ohmeter check the continuity between all of the connectors and also to ground. The only connector that should have any reading is the "S" (start) terminal to ground.

If the starter switch and solenoid check out you have a wiring problem, which may be a cross-connection between two wires (bad insulation/bare wires) or a connector that is improperly connected.

yea the starter starts turning over the engine in the run position. I don't even have to try to turn the turn all the waY FORWARD and the engine starts cranking over

yea the starter starts turning over the engine in the run position. I don't even have to try to turn the turn all the waY FORWARD and the engine starts cranking over
Either you have a bad starter solenoid or your I wire is somehow tied to the S wire.

ok so the only wires that need to go to the solenoid is the battery hot and ground on each end and the two wires on the push posts on the front correct?

if this is true I get no power to nothing . there is a wire that is connected to the solenoid post where the hot battery cable is connected to on the side post. this is the only way I gey any power anywhere to the car, like no electrical works unless this wire is connected to the hot post

ok I replaced the solenoid and now the car starts turning with the key out of the ignition

and the hot wire from the battery to solenoid gets so hot it burnt me!!

Pull both push-on wires off and see if it still happens. The starter pulls a lot of current, but not usually enough to make the wire from the battery to the solenoid that hot. Three possibilities, the new solenoid is bad, the wire from the battery to the solenoid is too small, there is a problem inside the starter.

You are correct, all of the power to the car comes from the solenoid (battery terminal), as well as the power from the alternator to the battery.

We are talking about the small push on connectors that are in the "front" of the solenoid. The side terminals that use a nut to secure the wires are for your battery and ground.

ok so the only wires that need to go to the solenoid is the battery hot and ground on each end and the two wires on the push posts on the front correct?

if this is true I get no power to nothing . there is a wire that is connected to the solenoid post where the hot battery cable is connected to on the side post. this is the only way I gey any power anywhere to the car, like no electrical works unless this wire is connected to the hot post
THERE ARE NO GROUND WIRES THAT GO TO THE STARTER SOLENOID!!!

If you have a ground hooked to the solenoid, you have created a dead short, which would explain the battery cable burning you.

The battery hot (+) lead, along with the fuse-able links go to the left large side terminal. The hot lead for the starter goes to the right side large terminal. The starter trigger from the ignition switch goes to the left small terminal, (usually a red with lt blue striped wire) and the ignition wire goes to the right small terminal.

This is in my truck, but it's mostly the same. Ignore the white wire on the S terminal. It was converted to Duraspark.

IMG_0313_zps946a4aeb.jpg

there is a fusable link that comes off the alternator wiring harness does that need to go to the soleniod with the (t) battery cable?

Back