Steering column adjustment?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renxus

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 73 Convertible 351C
Ford Mustang 70 Fastback 302
Good day,
My steering column sits about half an inch to the left from the center. It is non-tilt. I assume there is no other way to move it to the right than just drilling bolt holes a bit wider sideways? Or is it possible to adjust some other way?
P_20240620_222041.jpgP_20240620_222018.jpg

Of those 4 bolts at an angle at the bottom loosen them up and tighten the ones on the passenger side first and then tighten the ones on the driver side. Another option is to loosen the bolts that attach the column to the bottom of the instrument panel through the aluminum washers and then move the column to the right as you retight them.
See if that improves it.

Good day,
My steering column sits about half an inch to the left from the center. It is non-tilt. I assume there is no other way to move it to the right than just drilling bolt holes a bit wider sideways? Or is it possible to adjust some other way?
View attachment 89903View attachment 89904
Not commenting on your steering column alignment but your wiring looks well organized.

Of those 4 bolts at an angle at the bottom loosen them up and tighten the ones on the passenger side first and then tighten the ones on the driver side. Another option is to loosen the bolts that attach the column to the bottom of the instrument panel through the aluminum washers and then move the column to the right as you retight them.
See if that improves it.
Tried that, and both are maxed out. Well, seems like a bit of drilling has to do the trick.

Not commenting on your steering column alignment but your wiring looks well organized.
Organized is always good :) Not many glass fuzes around here since the fall of the ugly USSR so I made a new fuse box to fit modern fuses.
1718932573915.jpeg1718932845810.jpeg

Last edited:
I had this alignment issue. The ability to adjust is limited, but I got mine centered to a visually acceptable left-to-right position by loosening all 4 of the bolts pictures as well as the ones that mount the column base into the firewall.

The two studs on the topmost part of the brace act as a kind of pivot point and you can slide the base around against the firewall. The inner column with the rag joint has some ability to move around, so you can move the column tube left-to-right against the firewall until you get the upper column where you want it (or at least close). Tighten the base/firewall bolts first once you get the column where you can live with it.

You might not get it perfectly centered, but you can make it look better.

Back